Menu

Anyone care to share a fairly meatless meal plan for the week?

I can't find any that include breakfast and lunch. What???? Do they think we don't eat those two meals? :confused:

Anyway,

here are my ideas. I would LOVE to hear yours. Even if they contain a little meat. I need ones that work. Soo many times it's the craziest ingredients my kids won't touch!

S

muffins, smoothies

fried rice and pear

stuffed potatoes, roasted veggies, rolls

M

eng muffins, strawberries, oj

veggie wraps with hummus, veggie sticks

veggie plate - broc, carrots,swt pot fries, snowpeas

ice cream for dessert

T

cinn toast, omlete (maybe), banana, oj

lentil soup, bread

portobellos, new potatoes, green beans

W

eng muff, mighty man (yog. parfait)

blk bn burgs, a/sauce, broccoli

salmon, green salad, grain side

T

brkfst burritos

veggie sticks, salsa, chips and black bean salsa

beans and rice, cornbread, sweet pots

F

bagel crm cheese, fruit, oatmeal

grain salad and broccoli

homemade pizzas

Sat

baking day

muffins

chilli

pasta primavera

. . . I just went and did a big grocery shopping and can share what I think we'll do this week. (I have no clue which meals we'll do which days, so I'll just list by the meal.)

Breakfast--

Always the same. My son alternates between hash brown patties and oatmeal, with an occasional bagel or waffle for variety. And he pretty much always drinks a smoothie (calcium-fortified OJ, banana, frozen strawberries) spiked with Spirutein powder. I drink the smoothie, too. My husband is not a breakfast person.

Lunch--

My son fends for himself most of the time. If there are leftovers, he'll heat up some of those. Otherwise, he likes garlic bread dipped in pasta sauce or vegetable samosas or couscous and pita or sometimes just fruit and a handful of pretzels. I try to remember to have him drink a glass of soy milk on the side. I'm not big into lunch, but occasionally (especially on the days when we won't be home for dinner), I might make a pot of rice and some lentil puri or something similar for us to share. My husband eats out from work.

Dinner--

Ah-ha! See, I do cook sometimes. Here's what we have to choose from this week:

• Pasta with tomato sauce
  • Falafel with couscous and pita, sliced fruit on the side
  • Baked potatoes with toppings, onion fritters and/or glazed carrots
  • Sloppy lentils with toasted burger buns, sweet potato fries and/or fruit
  • Black bean burritos
  • "Bread and Veggies" - A relatively new option for us. I buy a couple of loaves of nice breads, chop lots of fruits and veggies and provide dips for those who want them. My husband usually adds a few slices of a good cheese. It's not cheap, but it's a nice change of pace, easy for me to pull together quickly, and lends itself to snacking for a family movie night.

There are only the three of us home most of the year, now. And my son has classes/rehearsals that keep the two of us out past a reasonable dinner time at least two nights a week. So, meals tend to be pretty casual.

For an easy lunch:

Quesadillas

Put a handful of shredded cheese on a tortilla. Stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Dump some salsa on the cheese (Tostitos brand works best for some reason). Fold tortilla in half and press it together. Melt a little butter in a skillet. Fry the tortilla for about a minute on each side.

Breakfast: Cold cereal with raisins/nuts or oatmeal with raisins/nuts or scrambled eggs with toast

Snacks/Lunch (my child eats all day): Deviled eggs, egg salad, PBJ, leftovers (my ds is sad when there are no leftovers the next day), carrots and dip, fruit, nuts, muffins

Dinners:

Soup Night: mushroom/barley or minestrone with veggies, beans, barley (crockpot) or cauliflower/potato/tofu with homemade biscuits or rolls or cornbread

Bean Night: Curried lentils and rice or blackeyed peas (cooked with 2 slices chopped bacon if you eat meat plus the usual) and rice

Pizza night: Homemade in bread machine with 1/2 whole wheat crust and chipped spinach under the cheese

Pad Thai Night: I buy the box with noodles and sauce and add fresh tofu and finely chopped broccoli or greens and eggs and peanuts

Greek Pasta Night: My ds loves swiss chard sauteed in olive oil with a little garlic and tossed with feta and whole wheat pasta (tomatoes/olives/basil are also good add ins)

Tortilla Chip Casserole: layer of crushed tortilla chips/layer of sauteed onions with a jar of salsa, can of black beans, 1 cup of corn and 1 cup extra liquid/ layer of blanched chopped spinach or swiss chard/grated cheese

Salmon Salad:Pasta, salmon, finely chopped broccoli, mayo and yogurt

Other dinners are Cous Cous Casserole or veggie chili with bulgur

In a pinch hot dogs and beans or frozen leftovers. Basically I have a few dishes which my child loves and which contain vegetables that we eat every week and then a few nights we have meals that he will eat but does not love.

Susan

ds (8)

Black Bean & Rice Burritos (add cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato as desired)

Green Enchiladas (sorry, I'll have to look up the recipe, but I know it's a soup, cheese, onion, chili peppers (we usually omit), and some other things).

Egg Tostadas (yup... Scrambelled EGG, with sour cream, cheese, salsa)

Black Bean Salad (I know I've posted the recipe around here somewhere :D)

Broccoli, Mac'n Cheese casserolle (you can add chicken if desired) -- crumbled cornflakes on top... YUM (I know this can be made in a crock pot).

Potato Omlette (shredded baked potato, you can use a LO one, some scram. eggs on top, with cheese... serve with green beans and applesauce for a quick, yummy breakfast, lunch or dinner :D)

Don't forget Eggplant Parmigian (sorry, I don't know how to spell that!), it's a yummy meal too!

Fruit Smoothies... any way you desire, add some whey protein powder for extra protein.

A meat-less chili...

That's all I can come up with now... sorry, no actual menus though!

Well, if you don't mind I would like to hear a little more about that fried rice and pear breakfast that you have! How do you do that?

I'm having visions of left-over rice sizzling in the pan with a bit of butter, add cinnamon? and pears, drizzle with maple syrup. Something like that? That sound delicious! I have an apple. I know what's for breakfast here!

Recipe?

We've been eating quite a few soups lately. I use chicken stock for them, but you could easily substitute veg stock. We've had lentil soup with sweet potatoes, garbanzo bean soup with spinach and a bunch of stuff i had in the refrigerator, black bean soup with butternut squash. I sometimes add rolls to the soup and/or a salad. With the squash, I can add thyme and garlic for flavoring or do something a bit more spicy with cumin, etc. Or, I've had some recipes for something a bit more Indian as well with cardamom, cinnamon, etc.

All of them can be made in the crock pot or just on the stove. And they are easy.

I eat very little meat, and my 6yo eats almost none. A typical day for her might be:

BREAKFAST

oatmeal, English muffin, toast, or pumpkin pancakes

eggs (2 every day, because she's almost meatless)

bowl of fruit (usually grapes, kiwis, oranges)

LUNCH

yogurt

grilled cheese or PB&J

more fruit or carrot sticks and hummus

(I make myself a sandwich with hummus and tabbouleh, Laughing Cow light cheese, and sometimes a little bit of turkey; I also eat a bowl of fruit covered with yogurt)

DINNER

soup (usually bean or butternut squash or chili or minestrone or similar)

salad

couscous

(I usually saute a bag of fresh spinach for myself and DH; neither child really likes spinach much)

When I'm feeling lazy, she also likes Boca burgers, Morningstar Farms veggie sausages, and Cedar Lane bean and cheese burritos.

My new breakfast favorite is to take firm tofu and slice it thinly into little filets, brown in an iron skillet using olive oil, add fresh spinach and stir around, then I add Spike seasoning and a little extra curry. If you like heavily seasoned egg type dishes, you may like this one. It makes me feel like I had eggs and is very good.

Fruit for breakfast is nice and refreshing. I like to thaw a bunch of frozen fruit like mangoes and strawberries and blueberries together in a bowl the night before. I don't add any sugar or anything but frozen pineapple makes up for the sweetener if you need it.

You can make a great breakfast sandwich with those tofu filets I mentioned cooked in a skillet with olive oil and salt, layered on some good Ezekial Sprouted grain bread, spinach leaves, tomatoes, and maybe some avocado or whatever makes you happy!:D

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting - dh on the eat to live diet again.

BTW - the kids detested this way of eating because they really were, always hungry!

They're not heavy, two of them are actually on the thin side. They're adolescents and they're growing and a bowl of salad or bean chilli just isn't received, um well.

It's not that we alot of junk but we eat stuff like - sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast, turkey and cheese sand for lunch and some chicken and sides for dinner type meals.

Switching to lentils and beans and massive greens and fruit again has us all (ME INCLUDED) not a happy camper. But, because our daddy is the most awesome in the whole world, we're trying to make this work for him.

I haven't even mentioned the expense of this kind of eating. You'd THINK it'd be cheaper but with the nearest place that sells stuff like that being 35 mins away and a Whole Foods to boot, it's costly.

Any help and favored recipes or meal plans you've used would be much appreciated.

My daughter doesn't eat meat. She lives on pasta and pizza (but no sauce and very little cheese. Don't ask).

Veggie pepperoni is delicious! My kids love it.

Morningstar Farms makes yummy veggie burgers in many varieties.

Boca Burgers are really good (meat free) and come in many different varieties.

Quorn Chicken nuggets are excellent and meat and soy free (my 9 year old son still has no idea they are not real chicken. We can only find them at Whole Foods though).

Baked sweet potatoes and regular potatoes.

Different kinds of rice.

A favorite at our house for a meatless dinner is 3-cheese stuffed shells:

12 Jumbo pasta shells

12 oz low-fat cottage cheese (drained)

1/2 C. shredded mozzarella

1/4 C. grated parmesan

2 T snipped fresh parsley (I use 1 T. dried if I don't have fresh on hand)

1/2 t dried oregano, crushed

1 can petite diced tomatoes (Italian style or with Italian seasoning added)

1 8oz can tomato sauce

Cook the pasta and drain.

For filling: Stir together cesses, parsley & oregano. Spoon scant 1/4 cup filling into each cooked shell. Arrange filled shells in a square baking dish.

Combine undrained tomatoes & sauce and pour over top of shells in dish. Bake covered 15 minutes and uncoved 15 minutes at 350. Sprinkle a bit more mozzarella on top during the last 5 minutes.

Everyone always loves this at my house. And it is fast & easy too!

Okay, I'll play:

Sunday

BF: hashbrown veggie fry

LN: hummus, pita chips, raw veggies (sugar snap peas, carrots, etc.)

DN: meatless chili

Monday

BF: quick bread & slice of cheese

LN: baked tortilla chips w/black beans and cheese, smothered in salad greens, salsa (or tomatoes), guacamole, and sour cream

DN: bean and barley veggie soup, fresh bread, large salad

Tuesday

BF: homemade french toast w/homemade jam or simply syrup

LN: leftover soup and grilled french bread w/mozz cheese and tomatoes

DN: tilapia, roasted veggie mix (bell peppers, onions, new potatoes, spices)

Wednesday:

BF: eggs w/slice of toast

LN: baked potato salad bar, berry compost w/whipped cream

DN: stirfry w/brown rice and lots of veggies, tofu

Thursday:

BF: crepes w/warmed peaches and whipped topping

LN: salad (make double for dinner), quick french bread pizza

DN: vegetarian lasagna, salad

Friday:

BF: oatmeal w/choice of toppings, yogurt based smoothie

LN: quesadilla, meatless tortilla soup

DN: any of several possible pasta dishes w/veggies in it, side salad

Saturday:

BF: egg omlet w/veggies, side of toast or hashbrowns

LN: veggie wrap

DN: fend for yourself, leftover meal

For snacks, I would provide fresh fruit and nuts. Add in avocado and coconut where possible. Keep your veggie choices colorful and try to change around your salads while including as much nutrition as possible in them (sprouted grains*, veggies, berries, fresh fruit, etc). You can also add some fun pies for dessert.

*Personally, I've never been successful in sprouting my grains. :glare:

• 1 month later...

I don't make or eat breakfast, but the kids can cook thier own. The staples available are:

Cereal/homemade Museli and fruit

eggs/toast/fruit

french toast w/maple syrup

oatmeal w/apples or raisins

bagels with either peanut butter or cream cheese

soy sausage patties w/toast and fruit

Lunches are usually accompanied by a handful of fresh veggies and a piece of fruit. The main like this:

leftovers

soup and sandwich (I usually crock pea soup, potato soup, chili, minestrone, etc on Sunday and then freeze in svg size containers)

Mac n cheese

PB & J

Grilled Cheese

Here's my dinner menu for last week:

Burgers (Morning Star Farms) topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions, swiss cheese and served on toasted rye. Svd with onion rings.

Spaghetti (sauteed mushrooms, onions, peppers, garlic zucchini and carrots before adding a jar of sauce), garlic bread and salad.

Navajo Stew (basically, roasted root vegetables and butter beans tossed with a tomato and adobe sauce, topped with sour cream or yogurt), corn on the cob, whole wheat pitas

Chili (kidney and black beans), topped with onions, sour cream, cheddar cheese, svd with blue chips, grapes

Veggie Lasagna, salad, garlic bread

Pizzas (I cheated and bought rising crust cheese and topped them with whatever we wanted at home), fresh veggies, fruit

Cream of Potato Soup, salad sandwiches (lots of fixin's and fav dressing, provolone cheese on cibiatta rolls), apple pie

We usually eat meat a few times a week but most of our meals are meatless. DH doesn't do well with simple carbs so we've been trying to use mostly whole grains. I'm still in the learning process.

Breakfast: cold cereal with milk, oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon, yogurt with ground flax seed and fresh or frozen fruit, multi-grain pancakes, french toast, eggs, omelettes, fresh fruit

Lunch: We almost always have leftovers from supper. If not we'll have something else quick and easy like: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, grilled cheese, quesedillas, cheesy rice with broccoli, spaghetti, or frozen soup.

Some supper ideas: pizza, vegetarian burritos, quiche (we make ours with ham, but you could use a different recipe, like spinach quiche), broccoli sandwiches (saute chopped broccoli and onion with salt and butter; add basil, thyme, and pepper; put on toasted crusty bread; top with cheese, then put in the broiler until cheese is melted), twice-baked potatoes, lots of pasta dishes with various sauces (creamy herbed sauce, cheese sauce, tomato sauce) and sometimes with veggies, tortellini (yum, now I want some!), soups, and salads.

Some supper side dish ideas: whole wheat biscuits, salads, steamed veggies (carrots, green beans, and broccoli are our favorites), rice, fresh fruit

A note on the pasta dishes: we just found a multi-grain pasta that the whole family loves:

Barilla Plus. It has lots of good things in it, including flax seed. Thank goodness, because we eat a lot of pasta and dh couldn't handle white pasta anymore.