Menu

any vet tech's out there! (or anyone ever done online degrees)??

I have always wanted to be a veterinarian but I realize that it is a bit too ambitious to try for at this time in my life, but I am intrigued by the idea of doing an online program to become a vet tech. I realize that I may not be able to use it for some time later in life (as I am committed to homeschooling right now)...but, I think it would be a neat goal to strive for. I got my 4year degree in Education, but I don't want to teach if I ever have to go back to work (LOL)....

So, my question is....how do these programs work online?? How much do they cost, and is there financial aid? Do you pay by course? Is there a time limit that you have to finish the degree or can you take as long as you like? Thanks!

I cannot help to much on the different programs as they are all different with cost, class schedules and so forth.

Just make sure that the online school is accredited.

THe only online school that I have assisted with(mainly signed forms for students and so forth) is http://www.spcollege.edu/hec/vt/index.htm.

Good luck and have fun, it can be a hard job but so rewarding.

Any questions you can pm.

Allene

Different programs are different. I "go to" a university online (and btw, dd will be attending same university for a different degree come fall). I'm doing education and dd will be doing IT. This is how this university works.

First, a term is 6 months. You can take as many credits as you want but must complete (for fin. aid purposes) 66% of what you attempt. You can add credits in after completing a minimum each term. So the term is longer and you can do a minimum or complete even double or more credits; it's up to you.

Second, each term costs a flat fee no matter how many credits you take. Obviously, it makes sense to accelerate if you can. However, the tuition is pretty low compared to most online and b&m schools so it works out decently even if you don't accelerate.

Third, the program is based on competency. You must prove your stuff. C work is not acceptable, but you may re-do (with feedback to help ya).

Many of the materials (books, computer programs, etc) are part of the tuition. This is AWESOME though reading texts online can be a pain. Not all of them are done that way, but it helps to have a good bit of them available online as texts can cost a bundle! Most of the texts are similar to what you find otherwise. Thinkwell and Stanford Univ both provide computer programs. These are just some examples.

There is a mentor who you speak with every week or two (depending where in the program you are). This is just to keep you mildly accountable, answer any questions that might come up, etc. There are also message boards to discuss things with other students and the community leaders of each subject. The community leaders are also available by chat and email so you can discuss things that come up.

I think I covered your questions. Of course, various programs would be different. You might consider the accreditation, if the courses are lock-step (like a friend of mine was doing another university and the classes had to be done on their timing with strict due dates and such which was hard for a homeschool mom of 5)....

Also, I would think that vet tech-ing would be fairly hands on. How is that requirement supposed to be met?

HTHs a little,

I worked for a vet for 5 years, long ago. I was an assistant, not a tech, which means I did not have a degree. My experience was all on the job training. We didn't have a tech on staff until I was ready to leave the job, there were only a few things I wasn't allowed to do without a license.

You might call some of your local vets and see where most of the techs are trained. I would think lab and physical experience dealing with the animals would be crucial obtaining a degree in that program.

The local community college where I lived was the training ground for most techs in that area. Here's a link to their program.

HTH

Johanna,

I don't know how old you are or how many more years of homeschooling you have in front of you but I would encourage you to not totally throw out the dream of vet school. You already have your 4 yr. degree, you'd probably just need some science prereqs which you could take during the summers you have kids at home. When I started school, the oldest guy in my vet class was 42. When I was back teaching at the vet school years later, I had students who were regularly in the upper 40's and low 50's. These were people who had other careers and decided to finally pursue the original dream. Once you are in vet school it is a full-time job, classes 8-5 M-F and studying takes up all your free time. But lots of older students have done it once their kids are gone. I even had one student who had triplets the first year of school, one with special needs. Obviously, I would not have recommended doing what she did but her dh was an MD and they paid a full-time nanny to watch the kids for four years. Needless to say, she was a stressed woman.

Anyway, just don't automatically give up the dream if it is something you have always wanted to do.

Just my two cents.

Also, I would think that vet tech-ing would be fairly hands on. How is that requirement supposed to be met?

They way it is working for I guess I would call them my underlings is they(students) will need access to a vet hospital as some time throughtout their schooling and they train for those specific events. For 2 of the gals they did not have to do this until almost their last term.

Again though, each school is different.

Good luck,

and as Soph the vet said. If your goal/dream is vet school then I would go for it.

Teching and vetting are really 2 very different jobs. Many vets have teched and many techs do decide later to go on to vet school but if your dream is vet school don't let that dream go.

They way it is working for I guess I would call them my underlings is they(students) will need access to a vet hospital as some time throughtout their schooling and they train for those specific events. For 2 of the gals they did not have to do this until almost their last term.

Again though, each school is different.

Good luck,

and as Soph the vet said. If your goal/dream is vet school then I would go for it.

Teching and vetting are really 2 very different jobs. Many vets have teched and many techs do decide later to go on to vet school but if your dream is vet school don't let that dream go.

I think the best vets out there were techs first somewhere along the line and they usually appreciate their staff more. (I was a tech way back when:D)