Menu

Edible Phoenician ship, anyone?

We're studying the Phoenicians - TOG Year 1, week 18, that is. I'd LOVE to make one of the edible ships I saw in the Activity pages, but can't find any directions - not even on the website.

Anyone have directions for how-to? My sugar-addicted children thank you in advance! ;)

We're studying the Phoenicians - TOG Year 1, week 18, that is. I'd LOVE to make one of the edible ships I saw in the Activity pages, but can't find any directions - not even on the website.

Anyone have directions for how-to? My sugar-addicted children thank you in advance! ;)

I have absolutely no recipe for you or any clue where to even start but fun activities like these make me want to homeschool a little one again. Ohhhhhh, did I really say that?

Edited by Liz CA
Because I can't type - LOL

Dang, just lost my reply! Let's try again. We adapted a similar project from SOTW, because no way was I going to CARVE A SHIP OUT OF ICE CREAM. sO we simplified:

We made the ship out of two waffle cones (overlap at the open part, so there's a pointy bit at each end a wide opening for your sailors and such). Sails were made of pretzel rods and graham crackers. Teddy Grahams were impressed for sailors; some manned the oars and others, sadly, drowned at sea. The ocean was vanilla ice cream tinted with blue food coloring (just a tiny bit works).

Make in a throw-away pan to minimize mess (but it's still messy). Use icing to hold stuff together, like the graham crackers and pretzel rods. Also use icing to decorate as appropriate (we did the scary eyes that the Greeks painted on their ships).

Work quickly! Edible ships tend to melt and/or fall apart quickly.

I make an edible chocolate clay (used for candy basket gifts)...when my older girls were little I used to make them a batch and turn them loose with it...one night we had several mini-elephants decorating our dinner table...when I decorate a fancy cake I prefer to use the chocolate clay (you can make it in different colors) instead of fondant--especially for roses. It tastes good too!

1 bag (14 oz) Wilton Candy Melts

1/3 cup corn syrup

Melt chocolate (I use microwave) and stir in corn syrup. Stir until mixture is blended (do not beat or over-stir). It should look grainy and a bit greasy. Cover and let set overnight. The next day use an old spoon to scoop out small handfuls of clay. Use the heat of your hands to soften the clay. If clay becomes too soft let it set for a few minutes (or BRIEFLY in the frig). Do not refrigerate or freeze long term.

Clay is great rolled out between sheets of waxed paper...--you could cover your ships with that then use tools (knife or toothpicks) to score 'wood' planks...