Menu

What Do you Do with the Doo?

One of my daughter's chores is to keep the back yard a Doo-Free Zone. We have a pretty big dog who generates a lot of doo and it's begining to pile up. I've read about composting and it seems like a pretty bad idea. I was wondering, though, if it could be composted if we dont' use it for food -- flower garden, et c.

I need something for her to do with it. Any ideas?

My doggie friends & I talk about this a lot. :D

Our guys get walked three times a day & we pooper scoop on our walks. The fosters occasionally use the yard as a bathroom but I don't encourage it.

Some people do empty the bags in the toilet & flush & then place all the bags in another bag & throw out in municipal trash.

I currently just throw the whole thing out in municipal trash, double bagged, although I think officially that's frowned upon.

I know a number of people who do a "bury" system, including some who use biodegradable pooper scooper bags - depends on your soil how well this will work. The successful people don't actually have much left in the hole. If it really fills, they relocate it to another location. Adding the septic tank powder seems to help a lot.

http://www.cityfarmer.org/petwaste.html

I can also say from exp with a foster dog on raw who did use to like to poop in one of my garden areas that when on raw (proper raw, with bone included) the poops are small & do disintegrate on their own into dust after only a couple days. He was a 125lbs. & didn't produce much at all.

The worse the quality of the food, the more copious & stinky the poops.

There are actual doggy doo composting things you can purchase. (About $100.) You just don't use it for anything...eww...cuz of bacteria that it can have...

Also, feeding a high quality dog food, especially with no grain...will make smaller poops that are easier to pick up. You have one bag on one hand, plastic bag in the other, and then throw double bagged into the trash bin. They burn trash here, in a big whatever it's called....I'm sure that there's a better way, but that's ours. I recycle and separate a lot of our families left overs (cardboard, glass etc...) but this is just where I draw the line, right now.

And, because it's my dog, I usually clean up myself. I want it done well, with no contamination, and I don't want the dog tracking it in, by accidentally stepping in it.

Carrie:-)

ahh, that explains about the copious amounts of doo. Our dog eats a special allergy food that is vegetarian. The vet did say that it would sometimes make a looser stool but didn't mention greater output. Good to know. Thanks!

It is my daughter's dog and while we all love it, she's the one responsible for it.

She has a scooper for the back yard but we just carry bags for walks (b/c the scooper is cumbersome while the bags just fit in a pocket -- till used, of course, but easier to carry nonetheless). The bags just go into muni trash. The back yard waste could, too, but I'd rather find a greener alternative. I will put it in the muni waste before I let it pile up much higher but surely there's something else to do with it. I'll check into the composter but I doubt it . . . at least for now.

We used to dig a hole in the back part of the yard and bury it. However we had 1/2 an acre and no neighbors around and the yard wasn't full grass. Here we have 3 acres part of it wooded and it goes by the woods. Honestly with all of our moisture I don't have to scoop that often.