Menu

Just gave blood: Am I sick? Pre-surgery question ...

Thursday morning I was FINE. I was getting ready for my pre-op appointments, and final consult with my plastic surgeon and another with the cardiologist who was to give me a clearance for surgery.

Any my cat gets up on top of my high kitchen cabinets and seemed to be stuck. So I got a chair and pulled him down, stirring up a bunch of dust bunnies that live up there.

Almost immediatly after breathing in all that dust I got a tickle in my throat that would not go away.

By the next day (Friday) when I went to give my own blood for my upcoming surgery (almost 400.00 to be applied to my hospital bill) my throat was scratchy and I was sneezing.

I talked to the young woman who worked there and we decided together that it must be allergies. Everything was running clear. It came up due to the fact that my temp was a little (not even a full degree) high. She said that the mint I'd ate just minutes before could have increased it. It was very slight. She also said that if it did turn out that I had a cold that they would have to destroy the 400.00 dollars...I mean the blood, as bacteria could build up in it and be bad for me.

Anyway, I gave blood and felt every so slightly not well for the rest of the day. I have been having daily anxiety/panic attacks which leave me very tired. Going to help my sisters pack up my deseased mother's house did not help. I was worn out by the time i got home and went to bed before 8pm.

Yesterday I woke up with a definate SORE throat and a slight cough due to the constant tickle and slight drain. And my dd woke up hacking away, also with a sore throat, but seems fine otherwise. I felt bad all day yesterday too. Dh said that giving blood can make you feel that way the next day.

This morning I still have the sore throat, slightly runny nose (still clear), slight cough. But I feel GREAT. I don't feel sick at all. Dd woke up with a sore throat too. She was around when all the dust was flying too, I'm sure.

Does this sound like allergies, or like a cold???

Because if it is a cold I need to call the blood bank (or whatever it is called that is storing my own blood for me) and they have to destroy the blood I gave them. Which means should I need it I won't have my own blood.

So...what do you think?

I was also told to let my plastic surgeon (for some reason she is the head person of this whole mastectomy thing) know if I was sick. But my surgery is not for 2 weeks..on the 23rd. And if I am sick I am sure I'll be over it way before surgery. I am so afraid that if I call her they are going to reschedule this whole thing. :glare:

(Moral of the story: Let stuck cats remain stuck.)

I'm guessing you did have a cold but the whole "destroy the blood because bacteria will build up in it" seems a little hokey to me. Doesn't that lab tech know any physiology or immunology, probably not. For starters, most colds are viral. Secondly, it is antibodies that will build up in your blood and they are a good thing. The only reason you would have bacteria in your blood is if you were septicemic (blood poisoning) and you certainly do not have that. Ridiculous. Don't call them. If you still have any upper respiratory signs near the time of your surgery THEN I would reschedule because you do not want to be anesthetized if you are sick, it will only make things worse.

I'm guessing you did have a cold but the whole "destroy the blood because bacteria will build up in it" seems a little hokey to me. Doesn't that lab tech know any physiology or immunology, probably not. For starters, most colds are viral. Secondly, it is antibodies that will build up in your blood and they are a good thing. The only reason you would have bacteria in your blood is if you were septicemic (blood poisoning) and you certainly do not have that. Ridiculous. Don't call them. If you still have any upper respiratory signs near the time of your surgery THEN I would reschedule because you do not want to be anesthetized if you are sick, it will only make things worse.

So it is not possible for there to be a bacterial infection in the blood that she drew unless I was septic? Correct?

Thanks,

:iagree: My son gets his blood tested for every fever (cancer, which requires blood cultures for every fever just in case of sepsis), and the only thing that shows up is an infection in the blood, so even a sinus infection would not show up in the blood that you donated unless it had gotten into the blood. That has not happened, so ignore her.

:grouphug: and prayers for your up coming surgery.

Dissenting opinion here--

Bacteria aren't usually transmitted by blood transfusions, but many viruses are. Many (not all) of the viruses that cause upper respiratory infections are associated with viremia (virus in the bloodstream). So if you have a virus now, and receive the blood transfusion in the future, you could possibly be giving yourself the virus again. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem because you should have antibodies to that virus.* If you are immunocompromised though (cancer, chemo) your body may not fight the infection as it normally would.

While cold viruses are rarely a problem in a healthy person, they can cause severe problems in immunocompromised people. I would call and ask to speak to the doctor in charge of the blood bank, not the tech, and explain the situation.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

~Perry (infectious disease epidemiologist in another life)

*I'm assuming the blood is for autologous transfusion and will be discarded if you don't use it. If the blood is transfused to someone else, they likely would not have antibodies to the virus.

So if you have a virus now, and receive the blood transfusion in the future, you could possibly be giving yourself the virus again. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem because you should have antibodies to that virus.* If you are immunocompromised though (cancer, chemo) your body may not fight the infection as it normally would.

While cold viruses are rarely a problem in a healthy person, they can cause severe problems in immunocompromised people. I would call and ask to speak to the doctor in charge of the blood bank, not the tech, and explain the situation.

Ok...this is exactly what the tech was trying to explain...and it made sense to me.

I'll call and speak with someone as you suggest. Just in case.

I will ask also about what they will do w/ the blood if I don't get it.

I still don't know if I am sick or just have allergies though. Knowing would make everything so much easier.

Thanks.

Bacteria aren't usually transmitted by blood transfusions, but many viruses are. Many (not all) of the viruses that cause upper respiratory infections are associated with viremia (virus in the bloodstream). So if you have a virus now, and receive the blood transfusion in the future, you could possibly be giving yourself the virus again. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem because you should have antibodies to that virus.* If you are immunocompromised though (cancer, chemo) your body may not fight the infection as it normally would.

*I'm assuming the blood is for autologous transfusion and will be discarded if you don't use it. If the blood is transfused to someone else, they likely would not have antibodies to the virus.

Is the risk of catching something worse like Hep B or C or worse worth the risk though? Our hospital did not allow us to donate blood for our son (long story even though I am a match), and I did not worry so much about him getting a cold from the blood (nor did his docs), but there are still 'holes' in testing blood for serious viruses and such. We only know of one child that did contract a chronic virus from a transfusion, but that is enough for me. I wish I had not read the paperwork that we were given prior to his first transfusion either, UGH. On a good note our little guy has had 5 blood transfusions and 4 platelet transfusions with no ill effects that we know of, so either way it might be ok. So many hard decisions.

I still don't know if I am sick or just have allergies though. Knowing would make everything so much easier.

Thanks.

Yes, that's the difficulty. If you do have an infection, even something mild like a cold, the blood shouldn't be used. It's difficult to know if you have an infection or not, though. It might be a good idea to discuss it with your oncologist, since that is really a clinical question and they have much more clinical experience than the blood bank physician. The more I think about it, I'd recommend calling your oncologist first. They can always discuss it with the blood bank if they feel the need.

:grouphug:

:iagree:

Actually, I do agree with you here. As I was thinking about this later if she had a fever she could have been viremic. But then the tech should have explained this to her instead of saying bacteria were going to build up in her blood.

Actually, I do agree with you here. As I was thinking about this later if she had a fever she could have been viremic. But then the tech should have explained this to her instead of saying bacteria were going to build up in her blood.

Maybe she was trying to keep it simple for me. :lol:

What I got out of what she said to me was simply: If I had a cold while giving blood, that should I need and recieve that blood during surgery, I'd be getting the cold back. And since I would be in a weakened condition I might not could fight it off so easily.

My brain didn't get all technical about it. :001_smile:

And as of this morning, I am still a sneezing, hacking mess with a sore throat. (When I first wake up it is really, really sore and I can hardly talk. After a cup of juice and two cups of coffee it does not hurt at all.)

No fever, everything is clear and I feel fine. A little tired maybe. Dd is the same.

I really need to fight this off. I am taking liquid Vit. C and also iron (for my upcoming surgery) so maybe that will help.

Yes, that's the difficulty. If you do have an infection, even something mild like a cold, the blood shouldn't be used. It's difficult to know if you have an infection or not, though. It might be a good idea to discuss it with your oncologist, since that is really a clinical question and they have much more clinical experience than the blood bank physician. The more I think about it, I'd recommend calling your oncologist first. They can always discuss it with the blood bank if they feel the need.

:grouphug:

Well...I feel foolish...but I don't actually have an oncologist. But I have seen one. I had a surgical oncologist at MD Anderson. But then I switched hospitals. As of now I have a surgeon and a plastic surgeon and a cardiologist. After my surgery I am sure I will have an oncologist. Especially if they find something invasive.

But for now....

Darn.