Menu

Math for the Accelerated Learner

sweetbaby

My youngest son (4th grade) eats up math. He loves science and he reads three grade levels ahead. He is currently using Math U See and whizzing right through the lessons each day. He has been requesting for more challenging math work. Do you think Singapore Challenging Word Problems would be a good supplement? Or should I just change him to Singapore altogether in the upcoming year? I'm not sure if supplementing MUS would be challenging enough for him. Any advice?

I don't have an answer for you.

I have a son that eats up math too. We use MUS exclusively and I just let him work at his own pace while requiring him to do all of the pages/problems each lesson. He usually does 2-3 pages a day, but will sometimes do all 6 pages of a lesson in a day. I just hand him the next lesson for the next day.

I tried Singapore with my daughter and it did not work for us. Part of the problem was that it is so different from the way I was taught math that I couldn't explain it well even after I figured out what they were doing. Because it is so difficult for me, I wouldn't even consider it for my son.

I don't have an answer for you.

I have a son that eats up math too. We use MUS exclusively and I just let him work at his own pace while requiring him to do all of the pages/problems each lesson. He usually does 2-3 pages a day, but will sometimes do all 6 pages of a lesson in a day. I just hand him the next lesson for the next day.

Joann, your son sounds exactly like my son. He has been working 3-4 pages in one day also. He jumps ahead and he absolutely loves word problems. He sure didn't get it from me.:lol: I'm not really mathy either which is why I love MUS but I guess I'm just afraid of not allowing him to work at his fullest potential if he is capable of doing so much more. (sigh)

I'd throw in the challenging word problems and see how he handles it. If he still wants more then maybe instead of making him do every problem especially if he is getting them all right skip some and move him along faster. When/if you hit a road block then slow up again. Does he like MUS? If so stay with it, if not and the challenging word problems don't do the trick then look at switching. Just my 2c and you can see from my sig i have absolutley no experience in this area, but my DD loves (eats up) math too.

I love Singapore, but I would be leary of changing from a program that is working well. Definitely give CWP a try. If you want to try more of Singapore, you should use the Intensive Practice book. I wouldn't just use the regular Singapore workbook with a math-hungry kid.

I would consider switching to Singapore Math.

Even though I do MUS with my daughter, I don't like that program so much. She, on the other hand, does, and she cried in Singapore Math. Math is not her forte and MUS is the only program (in English) that doesn't make her cry)

Math is my son's forte though, and he was in Singapore Math. And I could really feel his brain being stretched by the concepts in Singapore Math, something he would not have gotten with MUS. Singapore Math is a completely different beast. If a child can handle Singapore Math, s/he should be doing that program.

That said, the best program ever is in French. It's called Défi-Math. There's an old translation around, but it's hard to find.

Singapore Math is a completely different beast.
:lol:

I hope I'm ready to handle that beast. Ha! I think I will order the word problems and see how it goes first and we will also skip the concepts that he has down. If he still needs more of a challenge, we will order Singapore for the upcoming year. Thanks so much!

My youngest son (4th grade) eats up math. He loves science and he reads three grade levels ahead. He is currently using Math U See and whizzing right through the lessons each day. He has been requesting for more challenging math work. Do you think Singapore Challenging Word Problems would be a good supplement? Or should I just change him to Singapore altogether in the upcoming year? I'm not sure if supplementing MUS would be challenging enough for him. Any advice?

If you do decide to switch him to Singapore, I would also recommend the Intensive Practice workbooks (in addition to the CWP).

These IP books are more challenging than the workbook and are quite good at making the child 'think outside the box.'

Good Luck :)

I considered switching my 3rd grader from MUS to Singapore when I realized he was almost two grades ahead. I gave him the Singapore on-line placement test and he did quite poorly, since the scope and sequence is much different. So, he would have had to go back to 1B!!! I decided to supplement instead with Challenging Word Problems and Focus on Math. It is going quite well and has slowed him down a bit to.

There may be a good place to switch from MUS to Singapore, but it is not at Delta!!!

I forgot to add that we will also supplement with LOF, once we are a bit into Epsilon.

Edited by Quad Shot Academy
forgot LOF

If you are looking for supplemental ideas, I'd suggest you check out Challenge Math by Ed Zaccaro. I don't yet have my copy (it's coming!), but have heard Ed Zaccaro speak at a gifted conference and I was very impressed. There are sample pages on his website. Google Ed Zaccaro and his site will come up. It's worth looking at, although it is not a math curriculum...but if you wanted to continue with what you are doing and add some higher-level thinking exercises, it might be a good fit.

yes, Singapore with CWP. We have MUS, too, for mastery of facts and for days when they need a break from me teaching them math.

My 10 yo is nearly done with Singapore 6B, and is going to do a Russian Math from Perpendicular Press next, since she doesn't have the patience for Algebra yet and could use some time working on mathematical thinking, more fractions work, maturity.

• 2 weeks later...
I considered switching my 3rd grader from MUS to Singapore when I realized he was almost two grades ahead. I gave him the Singapore on-line placement test and he did quite poorly, since the scope and sequence is much different.

Having worked intimately with singapore from 1a through 4a this year (trying to get dd7's school to switch to it), I woudln't worry about the placement test issue.

If you have a kid whom you know is grade level or above, just get the equivalent singapore and you'll be fine. Then also get the CWP and Intensive practice - bwah ha ha ha ha. I'm so glad dd7 actually has to work at a problem every now and again. If they don't have that experience, it does nothing good for knowing *how* to attack something difficult when it does come up.

:)

K

Having worked intimately with singapore from 1a through 4a this year (trying to get dd7's school to switch to it), I woudln't worry about the placement test issue.

If you have a kid whom you know is grade level or above, just get the equivalent singapore and you'll be fine. Then also get the CWP and Intensive practice - bwah ha ha ha ha. I'm so glad dd7 actually has to work at a problem every now and again. If they don't have that experience, it does nothing good for knowing *how* to attack something difficult when it does come up.

K

Yes and no, It depends on the level. I did this by starting one dd in 6, and it would have been better to start her in 5. Although, 6 seems to be overall easier for my 10 yo than 5 was. There have been a few challenges, but not nearly as many as there were in 5. How much this has to do with Singapore, and how much this has to do with my 10 yo I'm not sure. I'll get a better idea when my ds gets there.

I've got the same issues with my son. Since he grasps the concepts very quickly, I am trying to go deeper by exploring each topic in greater detail and from different prospectives so I am using MUS and RS. I am also adding in different number systems as a fun aside to go broader.

Here is my plan, if this helps you, to give him the best foundation I can:

Exploring Ancient Number Systems - to go broader and cover topics that he usually wouldn't come across

Speed Maths - to improve his mental multiplication skills

Math U See delta

RightStart D

Practice estimating and measuring (lengths, weights, volumes)

The combination of RightStart and MathUSee is my attempt (since he is moving so rapidly) to make maths as concrete for him as possible. I figure you can't over-learn the basics. A child like this gives you the opportunity to explore these early concepts from many different angles.

He'll work through Exploring Ancient Number Systems and Speed Maths as supplements. When they are finished, I expect he'll also probably be through MUS delta and RS D. Then we will work on LoF as a supplement and Singapore Word Problems while continuing on with MUS and RS to finish off primary school maths.

Yes and no, It depends on the level. I did this by starting one dd in 6, and it would have been better to start her in 5.

But it didn't stop you from using Singapore:) I was posting in response to the person who said they couldn't use Singpore b/c the scope and sequence was so different from the program they'd used *that they couldn't use singapore b/c they'd have to start back in level one*. No one needs to start back in level 1 just b/c of the s/s and how the child places.

I'd just look at the placement tests, get the feel for where the child seems to be and go for it. There is enough spiralling from year to year in singapore (much more than I'd expected) that exact placement becomes a nonissue. If there is a concept they miss, it's easy enough to get it the next year.

K

But it didn't stop you from using Singapore:) I was posting in response to the person who said they couldn't use Singpore b/c the scope and sequence was so different from the program they'd used *that they couldn't use singapore b/c they'd have to start back in level one*. No one needs to start back in level 1 just b/c of the s/s and how the child places.

I'd just look at the placement tests, get the feel for where the child seems to be and go for it. There is enough spiralling from year to year in singapore (much more than I'd expected) that exact placement becomes a nonissue. If there is a concept they miss, it's easy enough to get it the next year.

K

I agree--I was just repsonding to the part of which level to begin with. And this dd did NOT finish 6 B because she HATED it. I happened to buy 2B at the same time and was having success with my younger dd, so I had good results with one and bad with the other. It does get harder than many other programs of the same grade level, even though the opening parts are easy. On the plus side, the dd I started in 6 who didn't like it was able to skip pre-Algebra because of Singapore 6 plus knowing a couple of other things not covered such as negative numbers from her other program.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...