Menu

S/O What do you do with misshelved library books you find while browsing?

S/O What do you do with misshelved library books you find while browsing?

I meant for this to be a poll but I got happy fingers.

Do you:

Leave it there?

Pull it and place on a nearby table?

Pull it and bring it to the librarian?

Edited by unsinkable
happy fingers

I usually put them up on a nearby table-- I know the librarians routinely gather books left out, and that the book will be put back in its proper place. In the children's area especially, I am constantly finding books put back (by little hands) where they're not supposed to be!

Put it on a nearby table. Our 2 nearby library systems both request that patrons not put books back and to just place them on tables so that's what I do with books that I found that were misfiled.

Of course, if it is easier to put it back on the shelf where it is supposed to be of course, I'll do that, too.

I usually re-shelve them in the correct spot. In the snippy local library, though, the children's books are only loosely in the right section by author name. I almost go apoplectic every time I try to find a book there.

And, apparently, it would be considered rude to rip all books from the shelves and order them properly. Yes, I've asked.

I put them on a nearby table or a return cart if there is one nearby. I've been scolded for reshelving books before at this library, even though I used to volunteer regularly at our old library, not like it is rocket science. In the children's section the books are alphabetized only by the first letter of the author's last name anyway. I'm pretty sure I can find the 'A' section. Sheesh!

In the adult section, I lay it flat. Our library has people who just work the shelves, so they find them and re shelve them.

In the kids section, if it is close to where it belongs (right shelf) I leave it (otherwise I wouldn't get to leave). If it is totally wrong, then I place it on a re shelving cart.