Menu

To dismantle or not?

Normally, Christmas has been packed away by today. This year is different, because Luke has developed a real attachment to our tree. He waters it every morning, has us plug in the lights, rearranges ornaments, etc. How long should I indulge him? Honestly, I'm considering moving the tree into another room that is less used and leaving it up until it is finally completely dead.

My two olders lose interest after the presents are unwrapped. This is a first for me.

Can you get him a house plant? The tree is probably a fire hazard, particularly with plugging the lights in. (Sorry. My husband is a firefighter and had a fatal fire a few years ago that involved a Christmas tree, and the daughter and grandchildren of a co-worker. We err on the side of complete paranoia.)

This year, we opted for a couple of potted Norfolk pines. You could add a string of battery operated lights and let him have at it without having a Christmas tree up forever.

We have a tiny house, but I can put it in the kitchen in a corner and let him keep it till' it becomes a fire hazard.

I didn't know if that was too indulgent, lol.

Bean, I'm married to the Grinch. He's gotton better, but rather than rumble, we decorate early (his compromise to me) and take it down quickly (my compromise to him). At the same time, every kid should have a pet and if Luke's a tree hugger, so be it.

Can you get him a house plant? The tree is probably a fire hazard, particularly with plugging the lights in. (Sorry. My husband is a firefighter and had a fatal fire a few years ago that involved a Christmas tree, and the daughter and grandchildren of a co-worker. We err on the side of complete paranoia.)

This year, we opted for a couple of potted Norfolk pines. You could add a string of battery operated lights and let him have at it without having a Christmas tree up forever.

That's hilarious, I wrote the fire hazard comment before I read your post.

The lights are only connected during the day. We've lost our house to a natural disaster before and are very careful not to manufacture another reason to live in a motel for a year.

Epiphany, that's the day the camels come! It's the 12th day of Christmas when the wise men finally make it across your living room to the stable to see the Baby Jesus. As Christmas comes to a close we think of those people from far away taking the story of Jesus home to share with the world. And you walk around the house humming "We Three Kings". Then you get to clean up the mess. :) It is part of our church worship and we often have a party as well.

:iagree: I can't believe how early some people take down their decorations. We barely get our up before Christmas Eve! I like to enjoy them in the calm and quiet that is after Christmas Day.

Generally we decorate the day after Thanksgiving and leave everything up until New Years. We decorated this year also even though we don't have a tree, but it is all coming down within the next few days.