Menu

Johnny Tremain - suitable for ds9and ds6?

ELaurie

I remember my third grade teacher reading this book to us after lunch, and we were all in tears by the end :001_smile: I also remember reading it again myself more than once - what a gift she gave to our class that year by reading aloud to us! I wish I could thank her for it now.

I picked up a copy at the library yesterday, and will skim it just to be sure it's OK for this age. Recommendations from the hive?

I feel so left out of the Johnny Tremain club. I read it with my sixth grade son last year and we both thought it was incredibly boring! :blushing: I finally couldn't stand reading any more of it, and sent ds off to read the rest of it independently. I know that so many people count it among their favorite books, though. I just wish I'd have felt that way! :tongue_smilie:

So, I can't imagine a 6 year old getting anything out of it, but that's just me, I'm sure!

I read this with my son right around when he turned 7. I don't really think there was anything inappropriate, but there were some things that he just didn't get. I read it because he is fascinated with George Washington and the Revolutionary War, so I thought he might like learning what life was like for a boy during that time period. He enjoyed it, but was very disappointed when I finished it and he realized that G.W. was not going to be part of the story!:lol:

We just started that book today. My kids (11, 9, 7, 4) all really enjoyed The Witch of Blackbird Pond and Carry on Mr. Bowditch, so I think this should be good as well.

My four year old really liked TWoBP which really surprised me.

I have to comment on one miracle solution for my figity boys. Thinking Putty. I bought the stuff through Timberdoodle and it has been worth its weight in gold. They just sit there kneading the stuff the whole time I read. Peaceful. Quiet. Listening. Wonderful!!!

about 2 years ago when they were 7 and 9 years old. We were studying of American Revolution in Story of the World. I did it as a read aloud to the boys.

I found it difficult because it is a story within a story within a story. There are really about 3 different stories in the book which is why it is so long.

It makes it difficult to follow because of it. There is the part of him being a silver smith. Then, he's a paper carrier for a newspaper. Then, he's a stable boy. There's a love triangle. There's a historical piece. There's an issue of Johnny learning humility.

It does make for a very good history lesson. It is boring at parts. Like I said, I felt that it was stories within stories.

May the Lord bless you this New Year!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I have to comment on one miracle solution for my figity boys. Thinking Putty. I bought the stuff through Timberdoodle and it has been worth its weight in gold. They just sit there kneading the stuff the whole time I read. Peaceful. Quiet. Listening. Wonderful!!!

That is what I use to have my younger guy pay attention. Putty and Legos!

They rock!

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony