Menu

Lunch ideas needed--low carb/Type 2 friendly

I've been packing snacks and lunch for dh for years. The dietary constraints are just what you described.

First, I'd see what you can do to get access to a microwave for dh, even if it means him having to purchase one and take it to work. If he can do that, then it is simple: pack him a portion of main dish/protein from another day's leftovers, and make him a salad. If you plan it right, the salad should total about 9 carb grams, including a low-carb dressing (1 tbsp is plenty) and a few veggies (a sliced baby carrot, a radish, several grape tomotoes cut in half). The carb count on the protein serving would vary a bit, if you have any kind of sauce or condiment to accompany the meat portion. We can usually bring in lunch right at about 12 carb grams.

If you can't arrange a microwave, then lunch meat rolls with a salad, a salad with chunked grilled chicken breast, or variations on that theme have worked for us. Romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves stuffed with rolled up lunch meat (even with mustard added!) is also an option.

I've also made flat wraps with various meat/cheese fillings rolled up in them, sent them out cold but wrapped in foil, and had my college student leave them on the dash, so he could come back a couple of hours later to a reasonably warm lunch.

HTH

Thanks. We would buy a microwave but he works at a prision so security and rules are quite tight. They do have a microwave but being the new guy, he needs to figure out his lunch schedule (he is a teacher there) and see if it will be free to use. He doesn't want to be the new guy that hogs the microwave.

I did go out today and got more veggies. That should help. He LOVES chips, crackers, breads, pastas, potatoes---basically the carbs that he should not be having many of. I want to pack stuff that is appealing to him so he won't miss it as much.

If he can use the microwave that would be easier as he really likes soups, stews, chili, etc. and those I can make healthier for him.

My mom is a type 2 and she is allowed whole grain carbs if she has it with some protein and lots of veggies.

I just discovered Flat Out whole grain wraps, (deli section of your grocery store or Walmart - Costco sells them, too). They taste better than normal whole wheat tortillas and don't crack when you roll them. I love to fill them with hummus and shredded carrots/ zuchinni and chopped celery and cucumber. I cut everything up in the food processor over the weekend so the wraps go together really quick. I also make may own hummus using a recipe from allrecipes.com. Yum!

Until your dh has access to a microwave, another idea might be to use a wide mouth thermos to bring a hot lunch. Hillbillyhousewife.com has instructions on how to heat the thermos and food. They also have lots of lunchbox suggestions.

(he likes crunchy things)

there are some brands of dill pickles that are very crunchy that he might like, but watch the amount of salt he is getting overall.

Nuts are marvelous for crunch appeal, especially almonds. (I get smoked almonds and shake them in a strainer to pare down the amount of salt on them.)

Also, you can make cheese chips, by microwaving sliced cheeses like provolone, or any grated cheeses like parmesan or colby. We particularly like colby and provolone "chips". You'll have to experiment with you home microwave to figure out how long to toast the cheese. We toast our cheese slices on parchment paper squares, then wipe and reuse the parchment a number of times, so it's not expensive. The key is to get the cheese to bubble, then gently blot the oil, and nuke a bit more to make it crisp.

hth

Here are some right from the Am. Diabetes Association, which I always find helpful!

Healthy lunches with approximately 45 grams of carbohydrate per meal

You may be able to eat more or less carbohydrate. A registered dietitian or certified diabetes educator can help you determine how much carbohydrate is right for you.

Turkey or ham sandwich on whole-wheat bread, 1 small piece fruit, cucumbers and broccoli with low-fat dip

Green salad with tuna or chicken breast, light salad dressing, 10 whole-wheat crackers, 6 ounces light yogurt

Low-fat chicken salad (see recipe below) in a whole-wheat pita pocket, ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese with 1 cup strawberries

1 cup bean soup, side salad with low-fat dressing, 5 whole-wheat crackers, 1 cup melon

Turkey wrap (made with whole-wheat tortilla, lettuce, light mayo, tomato and veggies of choice), ½ cup sugar-free pudding

1 cup tuna macaroni salad (made with tuna packed in water, whole-wheat pasta and light mayo), side salad with light salad dressing, 1 small piece fresh fruit

Spinach salad with grilled chicken breast, light salad dressing, 1 cup berries, 6 ounces light yogurt, 1 slice whole-wheat bread

Healthy frozen dinner (choose meal with about 30 grams carbohydrate and lowest sodium option too), 1 small piece fresh fruit, side salad with light dressing

1 cup whole-wheat pasta salad with chickpeas and veggies of choice (use light Italian dressing), 1 small piece fresh fruit

Asian chicken salad (grilled chicken breast, lettuce, peapods, carrots, ½ cup mandarin orange slices packed in juice, drained), low-fat sesame dressing, 1 medium whole-wheat roll

Healthy Lunches Especially Good for Kids

Peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole-wheat bread, 1 cup milk, 15 pretzels

English muffin pizza, 15 grapes, granola bar, 1 cup milk

Ham and cheese pinwheels (use 10-inch tortilla, fill with ham and cheese, roll, use toothpicks to pin edges and slice into 1-inch pinwheels), 1 apple with peanut butter for dipping, 1 cup milk

Homemade healthy “luncheable†(ham, turkey and cheese slices, 10 wheat crackers), 1 cup strawberries, ½ cup sugar-free pudding

Turkey and cheese sandwich on whole-wheat bread, celery slices topped with peanut butter and raisins, 6 ounces yogurt, 15 pretzels

Remember, leftover dinners can make quick lunches that can be re-heated the next day. Start changing your habits today -- try this wonderful Toasted Almond Chicken Salad for lunch. Enjoy!

Toasted Almond Chicken Salad

Yield: 5 servings

Serving size: 1 sandwich

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 14.5-ounce cans fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped

¼ cup almond slivers, toasted

1/3 cup light mayonnaise

2 tablespoons plain, fat-free yogurt

½ teaspoon salt

Dash ground black pepper

10 slices whole-wheat bread (5 pita pockets)

1. Place chicken breasts in a large saucepan over medium heat. Pour chicken broth over chicken breasts and bring to a low simmer for 20 minutes or until done. Shred chicken meat and set aside to cool.

2. In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except bread, and mix well.

3. Add chicken to mixture and toss well to coat. Divide the chicken salad into 5 equal portions. Top one slice of toasted wheat bread with one portion of chicken salad. Top with another slice of bread. Repeat for remaining 4 sandwiches.

Nutrition Information: 338 Calories, 13g Total Fat, 2 Saturated Fat, 59mg Cholesterol, 731mg Sodium, 29g Total Carbohydrate, 5g Dietary Fiber, 3g Sugars, 27g Protein

Copyright © American Diabetes Association from Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking. Reprinted with permission from The American Diabetes Association.

He eats really big salads--think salad for four people. Include lots of crunchy extras like yellow peppers, carrots, radishes, peas in pods, etc. He really likes Newman's Own Ceasar Italian dressing. On top he puts his protein. He uses canned salmon, canned tuna, canned white beans, canned kidney beans, or any lean meat that we might have in the fridge that would taste OK cold with salad dressing on it. This really does fill him up, and he has lost a lot of weight eating one or two meals of this type each day, and kept himself a lot healthier.