Menu

If hot temperatures cause you anxiety…

saraha

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I don't have air conditioning and many people I know don't .  It is a choice that is made for environmental reasons. It is considered  bad for the environment. 

This choice can have very different outcomes depending on the envelope of your house and your surrounds. A lot of modern houses are not built to withstand heat or cold but to rely purely on heating. Ours is not modern but owner builder and doesn’t have a ceiling cavity. We toughed it out a lot but one day I had rubber gloves melt on my kitchen window sill and realised how ridiculous it was. Obviously I don’t know what your situation is house wise but it is hard to compare without experiencing I think. 

It would be much better for the environment to have mandatory building standards that don’t rely on heating and cooling for survival. I love the concept of building to make the most of the natural environment but it’s not possible for most people.

And we are lucky at least we have trees and garden. There are urban areas that are absolutely terrible to live in during the heat. Obviously less scary in terms of fire but no shade and no natural features to provide a cooling effect at all. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I don't have air conditioning and many people I know don't .  It is a choice that is made for environmental reasons. It is considered  bad for the environment. 

Thank you for making that choice! It’s so wonderful that you can. 

I think building homes to manage heat well without constantly running AC is a bit of a lost art here, and hopefully will come back soon.

We live in a typical suburban neighborhood, though our house is surrounded by tall trees and backs to a pond with a forested area; and still unfortunately our home can’t function without AC when temps are even typical summer temps here. It’s disappointing and not our preference. Even with all the heat mitigation ideas we can employ, it’s just unbearable and is cooler to be outside. It’s a building issue, and I hope that when we move someday we will be able to make sure our next home is not an oven. Whew!

• Like 3

I do understand it’s not realistic or affordable or necessary for everyone to have central AC. That’s why my comment said “portable option”. Portable. For emergency health (or mental health) reasons. 👍 

• Like 2