Menu

Fun read aloud chapter books for kindergarten?

TinyMama

Ones my kids liked:

• Matilda (Dahl)
  • Mrs. Pigglewiggle
  • The Mouse and the Motorcycle
  • Wayside School
  • The Phantom Tollbooth
  • Winnie The Pooh
  • Oz books
  • Pippi Longstocking
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing/Fudge series
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • Just So Stories
  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

I will say that for kindergarten, our books were still more in two groups: completely non-realistic (elements of magical lands, absurdities) or personification of animals (real or stuffed).  We slowly moved into more realistic fiction as they got older.

• Like 2

Addition to @HomeAgain's list

• Heartwood Hotel series. Super lovely because the 4 books go a long with the seasons starting with the Fall.
  • Cricket in Times Square
  • Odder I loved Odder and found it very well written, my kids weren't too keen so 🤷‍♀️

Even though I don't use Brave Writer, their book picks are very good. For chapter books look at Dart.

Edited by Clarita
Add information, typo

My son is starting kindergarten this year. These are books we have read so far this year and enjoyed. Excited to see what others like as well! 

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The Boxcar Children

My Father’s Dragon

The Chocolate Touch (loved)

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (loved, read/listed to this several times) 

The Mouse and The Motorcycle

Winnie the Pooh

Mr. Popper’s Penguins

Charlotte’s Web (There’s a really good audiobook performed by Meryl Streep and others that you can get from your library or on hoopla that we loved!) 

The Mystery of the Hidden Scrolls (Christian)

The Little Prince (There’s a really good audiobook for this one performed by Richard Gere.)

These are all great recommendations. Thanks you! I've looked them up and they cover art us adorable and I can tell they'll keep my daughter's attention. 

We've read one book in the Magic Treehouse series so far. When reading aloud at the kindergarten level, do you finish an entire series before moving on to the next? Or, do you read whatever you want in any order? 

6 minutes ago, TinyMama said:

We've read one book in the Magic Treehouse series so far. When reading aloud at the kindergarten level, do you finish an entire series before moving on to the next? Or, do you read whatever you want in any order? 

We read whatever suited our fancy at the time.  Goodness, it would take months to get through some series and you miss out on being able to introduce other writing your child might love.  Magic Treehouse is almost as prolific as the Sweet Valley series of my childhood.  I can't imagine devoting all my time to only reading those aloud. 

Also, I tended to "read with the season", so something like Charlotte's Web in late summer/early fall, Molly's Pilgrim the week before Thanksgiving, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever in December........and filling in the rest of the months with fun and fantasy.  But Kindergarten is one of those years where they're still learning seasonal rhythms/keeping track of time and traditions, so bringing in books where characters were doing the same, but differently, kind of reinforced that imo.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TinyMama said:

We read whatever we want. After some time they may even ask to just read the books in the series on their own and you have to read the rest of the series on your own. Especially with huge series like Magic Treehouse they get tired of it too so they'll want to take breaks from just reading that.

In terms of keeping attention, it took my daughter a bit into Kindergarten to go through a chapter book. Gradually, she matured into being able to do chapter books (she wasn't good enough at remembering the right parts of the story to make each day interesting for her). She preferred a complete story for each sitting, books like Paddington Bear was great at that stage because each chapter was a full story on it's own (Winnie the Pooh I think is written more like that too). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clarita said:

In terms of keeping attention, it took my daughter a bit into Kindergarten to go through a chapter book. Gradually, she matured into being able to do chapter books (she wasn't good enough at remembering the right parts of the story to make each day interesting for her). She preferred a complete story for each sitting, books like Paddington Bear was great at that stage because each chapter was a full story on it's own (Winnie the Pooh I think is written more like that too). 

Cynthia Rylant's easy chapter books (The Lighthouse Family, Mr. Putter and Tabby, Thimbleberry, etc) are good for that in-between listening stage, a little longer but broken up with lots of pictures. 

Another book to put on the list is Beezus and Ramona. 

• Like 1

We also read with the season - mostly still with picture books, but also there are some seasonal Magic Treehouse books. (If anyone has good ideas for more seasonal chapter books, that would be great.)

For Magic Treehouse - for my kid, interest in the animal rescue stories came much earlier than some of the historic ones. We just pick the titles that sounds most interesting.

Some books we like:

The Iron Man

Heartwood Hotel

Moomintrolls

Paddington

Beaver Towers

The Worst Witch

Famous Five / Cherry Tree Farm

Flat Stanley

Penderwicks

Ballet Shoes

Five Children and It