Menu

Question - donation for books (church)

sheryl

Recently dh and I received a Christian-authored book.   It is so good.  I belong to a women's group and thought I'd purchase a book for each of the women.  Knowing that sometimes there is a bulk discount (although 12 is a mini bulk lol), I asked and our church said they are complimentary, or I can make a donation.  They don't care.

The book retails for $14.99, I think.  Knowing the above, what price would you recommend I purchase the book at x 12?

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Just making sure I understand...the church said they would pay for the books?

Oh, no.   The church carries this book and has many.  I'd like to purchase 12 for the women in my ladies group.  The book retails for $14, give or take.  They are not interested in "making money" but want to bless others so they are willing to give me the books at no cost to me.  Or, they said I can make a donation of whatever amount I choose.   They don't want the money to stand in the way and that's why they said don't worry about making a donation even.  But, I'd like to pay something.   I just don't know what that is. 

• Thanks 1

I would ask them how much they actually paid per book because you want to make them whole.  Then that's what I'd give them.

If they didn't want to tell me, I might try to do some research into what is the markup on that sort of book, and back into their approximate cost from the retail price.

Or just go with a rough number that isn't ridiculous, like say $10 per book.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SKL said:

I would ask them how much they actually paid per book because you want to make them whole.  Then that's what I'd give them.

If they didn't want to tell me, I might try to do some research into what is the markup on that sort of book, and back into their approximate cost from the retail price.

Or just go with a rough number that isn't ridiculous, like say $10 per book.

Right, they are so kind and not focused on money so I'd have to research.  Thanks for that idea!

It's very generous of your church to offer the books for free. If I wanted a number of books for people outside the church, I would donate the list price of the books. They probably don't pay that, but the extra $$ will enable them to buy more to give away.