Menu

How much probiotic?

kbutton

I’m taking Thorne’s version of Florastor. I take it daily, but I am bumping my dose for antibiotics (augmentin plus z pack, but the z pack is finished) that I was Rx’d for pneumonia (and yes, augmentin was an odd choice—the others in my family got plain amoxicillin). I can’t choke down yogurt or anything that tastes like it, and I don’t seem to tolerate other probiotics—they flare my MCAS. I still have five more doses, and I am supposed to start a seasonal job on the last day of dosing. I have already missed a number of shifts for the actual pneumonia, but this GI stuff is not convenient.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, KSera said:

If you mean you’re having actual symptoms, my dr recommended 2 capsules 3 times a day, and that’s what we do. 

I’m really sorry about the pneumonia! 

This. My doc recommends this. She recommends Thorne very often, but for s. Boulardii, Ingo with Florastor brand because it’s been used in clinical trials and shown to be effective. I’m sure Thorne is good, too.

If I’m having symptoms and feeling worried about a C Diff recurrence, I add some other items. I am new to MCAS, but have probably had it for some time, I would imagine when I took these supplements as well, but I don’t know how they will work for you: I add garlic; Candibactin (BR, I think); and Visbiome probiotics. Of those, Visbiome is probably most important — you said other probiotics don’t work for you, but I feel so strongly about this one, I might try it if you’re worried about C Diff. It’s expensive, and used to be Rx only. They will ship it in a fridge box with a card to let you know it hasn’t gotten warm. It must be refrigerated. I only take this when having GI symptoms. It’s not an every day probiotic.

I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, KSera said:

If you mean you’re having actual symptoms, my dr recommended 2 capsules 3 times a day, and that’s what we do. 

I’m really sorry about the pneumonia! 

That’s much more than I expected—good to know!

16 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I might try it if you’re worried about C Diff.

Not yet, but augmentin is famous for GI issues.

If upping my dosage of my standard one doesn’t help, I will consider another, but probiotics are often an MCAS trigger. I do have some room to move with my antihistamine dosages though too.

I will be watching for c diff in case—I know it can strike even months after an antibiotic.

I am pretty much over the pneumonia. Several family members were down with it, all of us for the first time. It was bizarre, and if we hadn’t gotten chest X-rays, we’d have gotten very ill as none of us had typical symptoms. It wasn’t Covid, but we don’t know what it was. 

• Like 1

I have been told that I should take twice the recommended daily amount on a regular basis, due to poor gut health and poor absorption, and 3-4 times that amount if on antibiotics. That has come from two of my doctors, my dietician and my pharmacist. The first time I was told that, I thought there was no way that was correct. Last year, I had a terrible infection and my pharmacist  told me to take twice the recommended amount with each dose of antibiotic. I didn’t have any stomach issues while on the antibiotic. 

• Like 1

Oh, please remember to space your probiotics and s. Boulardii at least two hours apart from your antibiotics! 

No point taking massive doses of probiotics only to kill them off immediately with the abx.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Oh, please remember to space your probiotics and s. Boulardii at least two hours apart from your antibiotics! 

Have you heard anywhere this applies to s. Boulardii as well? My understanding has always been antibiotics won’t affect the florastor, so I don’t bother to space that one, which makes it a lot easier. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, KSera said:

Have you heard anywhere this applies to s. Boulardii as well? My understanding has always been antibiotics won’t affect the florastor, so I don’t bother to space that one, which makes it a lot easier. 

Well, that would certainly make it easier! I don’t have a source, only my LLMD’s instructions. I will ask her when I see her again.

ETA: from the Florastor website, no need to space them. Nice!

Can I take Florastor probiotics with antibiotics?

Yes! Florastor is proven resistant to most common antibiotics. Florastor has been shown to help maintain digestive balance even during and after antibiotic usage.* Visit the Why Florastor page to learn more.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 4

My doctor also prescribed me 2 capsules 3 times a day. 

Have you considered consulting with a healthcare provider or exploring options through a Canadian Pharmacy Partnership for assistance with your medication regimen and potential alternatives to ease your discomfort?

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Edited by Rosla

2 hours ago, Rosla said:

My doctor also prescribed me 2 capsules 3 times a day. 

Have you considered consulting with a healthcare provider for assistance with your medication regimen and potential alternatives to ease your discomfort?

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Not really—people here have recommended this over and over, and this antibiotic is notorious for GI issues. I’m feeling fine now and will likely back down on my dose. 

• Like 2