Menu

Updated: Ozempic vs Victoza

I commented on the Ozempic Babies thread a while back about the struggle to get insurance to approve Ozempic even though I'm diabetic. Well, today my doctor's nurse finally got insurance to approve it! 😄 Now here's hoping the pharmacy has it and doesn't have to order it. Oh yeah and fingers crossed NO Ozempic babies for me please. No matter how badly ds11 wants a younger sibling, I'm done with the little kid phase. 🤣

Update down below. TL;DR They approved Victoza, not Ozempic.

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Like 11

The Ozempic sample kit my dr gave me in February/March was great. My blood sugar stayed under 140 all day. But once the sample ran out and insurance was still fighting to not approve it, my blood sugar started spiking up even though I watch what I eat and all. Only drink water and the occasional sugar-free drink. I had given up that they would approve it but that nurse is awesome! 😄 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

The Ozempic sample kit my dr gave me in February/March was great. My blood sugar stayed under 140 all day. But once the sample ran out and insurance was still fighting to not approve it, my blood sugar started spiking up even though I watch what I eat and all. Only drink water and the occasional sugar-free drink. I had given up that they would approve it but that nurse is awesome! 😄 

You probably know this,  but just in case - artificial sweeteners and insulin. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7014832/#:~:text=Ingestion of these artificial sweeteners,activity due to insulin resistance

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Actually that wasn’t double-blind. When they did a double blind study they found artificial sweeteners do not spike insulin and keep blood sugar and weight lower. I’ll find the link. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

Does anyone taking it actually feel good while your on it?  I’ve been curious about it but a friend has been on it and it seems to be working mostly by making her feel to miserable to eat.   Is that a common thing?  

I had some intermittent, mild nausea the first few months, but it went away. I feel fine. 

People taking this drug as Wegovy for weight loss take 4x the amount I take for diabetes, so maybe they have more side effects? Idk. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

Does anyone taking it actually feel good while your on it?  I’ve been curious about it but a friend has been on it and it seems to be working mostly by making her feel to miserable to eat.   Is that a common thing?  

A friend of mine found that she felt fine but had no desire to eat. She found the lack of desire overwhelming, like cutting off one of her senses. It took quite a lot of the pleasure out of eating. You would think that’s a good thing, but it was not. 

• Sad 2

For the 4 weeks that I was taking the sample, I felt great. Like noticeably better than I had felt in months. The first week I had some gastrointestinal upset but that's a pretty normal reaction for me anytime we change my diabetes meds. It was mild compared to how bad it was with some of the other meds we tried. Everyone is different though and what is mild and manageable for me might be miserable for someone else. If I'm miserable for more than a week or two, my doctor wants to know so we can adjust or change medications. Metformin was the drug that made me miserable all. the. time.

• Like 3

Ok, so the pharmacy said they didn't have a prescription for me for Ozempic. I just got done talking to the nurse and apparently insurance approved Victoza instead of Ozempic. A once daily injection instead of once weekly. I assume, from reading the website information, it works in much the same way. Anyone have experience with Victoza? 

At this point, I'm just happy they finally approved something because the meds I'm currently on just aren't quite doing the trick anymore. 🤪

• Like 2

• sweet2ndchance changed the title to Updated: Ozempic vs Victoza

I was on Victoza for around 3 years before switching to Ozempic due to changing insurance coverage. Honestly, I preferred the Victoza. I felt better on it and it worked on my hunger/weight loss better. If I could, I would go back to Victoza over the Ozempic. As far as the blood sugar side of things I felt like the daily dose of Victoza worked better at keeping my sugar levels on an even keel. The Ozempic worked, but there were more ups and downs as I got close to the next dose each week.

• Thanks 1