Menu

animal documentary rec

gardenmom5

Harry and Snowman.  Amazon.

Snowman was a gelded Amish plow horse that Harry - a dutch immigrant who came to the US with nothing - bought off a slaughterhouse truck for $80 in the 1950s.
they caught each other's eyes, and just clicked.  that's why he chose him.   Extremely mellow horse.  His kids rode him like a toy, while the horse swam, they used him as a diving platform . . . 
But, snowman liked to jump.  He had sold him to the man six miles down the road.  Despite making the fence taller, Snowman kept showing up at his barn.  Finally, they put a rope around his neck attached to a tire (enough room he could move around the paddock and graze).  He showed up at Harry's barn, with the rope, the tire, and a piece of fence.  He kept him, and started training him to show jump.  Snowman lived to jump, made it look effortless.  At one point Harry was offered $100,000 for him. (late 50s/early 60s?) But because of their connection, he flat out refused to sell the horse.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CTVKath said:

Thank you!!!!!! My horse loving DD is going to love this movie!!!!!!

It's a documentary.   But I think there are books about him from the 50s.

Has she seen Miracle of the white stallions?  It's a disney version about the efforts to save the lipizaners and the spanish riding school in the closing days of wwii. 

We really enjoyed the stud farm at Piber.

Edited by gardenmom5

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

It's a documentary.   But I think there are books about him from the 50s.

Has she seen Miracle of the white stallions?  It's a disney version about the efforts to save the lipizaners and the spanish riding school in the closing days of wwii. 

We really enjoyed the stud farm at Piber.

She knew about Snowman and has a model of him but we didn't know about the documentary. I watched the trailer. It's going to be good!!!!

She hasn't seen Miracle of the White Stallions either. We're adding that one to the list.

Thank you!!!!!! 🙂

• Like 1