Menu

PA Homeschooler vs Blue tent vs Aim academy AP English

Hello,

I have searched the forum but the thread I found is a little old. Wanted to ask if anyone who has taken classes with PA Homeschooler, Blue tent and Aim Academy for AP English and can compare.

Thanks

I have used Maya Inspektor at PA Homeschoolers for my older two (my middle dd graduated in 2019). They both loved her classes.  I have signed our youngest up for AP English Language with her in the fall.  The class is completely asynchronous, but is quite interactive.  

AIM's classes (lili S.) have a great reputation. I am planning to do that a year from now. My son is ready to start, but he insists on doing AIM's Brit Lit with Susan Spivey first. He's in her honors Amer Lit and loves it. Her class is not overwhelming in workload which is a plus for this STEM oriented kid.

8 hours ago, calbear said:

AIM's classes (lili S.) have a great reputation. I am planning to do that a year from now. My son is ready to start, but he insists on doing AIM's Brit Lit with Susan Spivey first. He's in her honors Amer Lit and loves it. Her class is not overwhelming in workload which is a plus for this STEM oriented kid.

Could you say more about the workload for the honors Amer Lit class at AIM? 

Honors and Regular are the same class. Honors track just has more assignments. What you can do is sign up for regular and see how things go. I wrote to Susan when my son said he thought he could handle more and had him upgraded to Honors. Just do this by early October (I think). None of the honors assignments start up until about then. You just pay the extra fee. 

My DD did the AP Lit (prep) class with Lilli S. at AIM Academy last summer. To say that I was underwhelmed would be an understatement after all the raving reviews I had heard about Lilli S and her teaching of this class. I'm sure everybody has an opinion; this is just MY opinion about MY experience. YMMV.  I'm just trying to provide an honest review from my own point of view as I always appreciate hearing from others prior to signing my children up for specific classes. There were many things that were not stellar about the experience but two things were especially poor in my opinion. The class consisted of three units that were likely lifted from the longer year-long course which was entirely fine with me. However, to present the lesson content, the teacher used lots of powerpoint slides that were completely full of information (too much text written on each slide) and then proceeded to read each.one. of. the. slides. to. the. students! EACH. slide. This was the bulk of her "teaching" and it became tedious very quickly. Second, she gave marginal, "light" feedback on written work/essays. I had expected a deeper level of feedback (a more extensive critique) from the reviews I had read about her and about the classes she teaches. I ended up having to give the substantive feedback to my daughter that I had been expecting from Lilli S. Okay, but I did not expect to have had to pay $$ only to end up basically evaluating all of my daughter's work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with CatoVA regarding the Serbicki class and being underwhelmed. We needed to prep dd for the exam. She was not at all prepared to take it. But, if your goal is some light accountability for a student who won’t be taking the exam,  I’m sure she’s fine. I was really upset that they only read parts of the books covered, not the entire book.

• Like 2

My daughter was not taking the AP exam, but Lilli S.'s class was still not worth what I paid for it given that I was the one who ended up giving my daughter essay feedback that mattered and the classroom teaching also left much to be desired.

• Like 1