Menu

Is there something like cranberry for cats?

Dmmetler

My sweet Scooter is on his third round of antibiotics for a recurrent or just won't leave UTI. He had a PU due to crystals a bit under 2 years ago, so his urinary tract is shorter and more open than the typical male cats'. 

Is there anything that works in cats like cranberry does in humans, to help make him more resistant?.  Poor guy....IMG_3571.thumb.jpeg.8f2ced2241fba484a5113348e4bf1fea.jpeg

Poor Scooter!

Filtered water. Seriously.

Our male had recurring UTIs over a six year period. The year he turned 15 he had FIVE UTIs.

As a last ditch effort, the vet said to try filtered or distilled water. We bought a jug of distilled water and once that was gone, we just refilled it from the fridge door since it was filtered.

The sweet baby passed away at the age of 20y 10mo and never had another UTI. 

It probably depends on the ultimate cause of the UTIs, but I'm a believer in the filtered water after our experience.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

It probably depends on the ultimate cause of the UTIs, but I'm a believer in the filtered water after our experience.

We have a flitered fountain for our kitties and I think they also stay so much more hydrated too.,  Not surprised at all this would make a difference for some cats.  

Did they culture so you know what type of bacteria? If E. coli, I’d definitely give the d mannose a try. I assume you’re already doing all the things to get as much water as possible in his diet? Just like with people, keeping them constantly well flushed is very helpful, it’s just more challenging than with people. We used to add water to our cat’s wet food to make it even more liquidy. During the acute phase, we fed her food split up so that every couple hours she was getting watered down wet food. That had her producing a lot of almost clear urine, which was the goal. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KSera said:

Did they culture so you know what type of bacteria? If E. coli, I’d definitely give the d mannose a try. I assume you’re already doing all the things to get as much water as possible in his diet? Just like with people, keeping them constantly well flushed is very helpful, it’s just more challenging than with people. We used to add water to our cat’s wet food to make it even more liquidy. During the acute phase, we fed her food split up so that every couple hours she was getting watered down wet food. That had her producing a lot of almost clear urine, which was the goal. 

They did a culture.

We have two fpuntains for our cats. 

My cat had two or three UTIs in a row. It was horrible. The vet told me to completely clean the litter box each week - dump, wash with soap, refill with new litter. She didn't have problems after that. Maybe that would help a little.