Menu

Math - Simplifying Expressions extra help

For math. daughter has done Beast Academy and some AOPS.  She is in Intro Geometry now.   I realized that she needs more work in simplifying expressions.    Just like she'd needed more work with the multiplication table.  Anyone have a suggestion?    Online or book would be fine, but it would have to be self-paced if online.  I think once she gets the "click" where everything falls into place, she'll be fine on that and I'd hate for her to waste time.   

I like Corbett Maths ( https://corbettmaths.com ) for extra practice. It has videos and practice sheets, all for free. Just note that it is British.

Math Mammoth has videos on simplifying expression on this page: https://www.mathmammoth.com/videos/prealgebra/pre-algebra-videos

MM also has a worktext in the Blue Series that focuses on equations and expression. It is pre-algebra level though, so might be too simple for your dc.

Khan Academy is a favourite here as well.

• Like 1

As far as level, we are talking Algebra 1 equations.   It isn't precisely that she can't do the problems.   But it is like with the multiplication tables, she could figure out what 7x8 was.    But, before pre-multiplication drills, she'd think "Well, 7x7 is 49 and add another 7 ..."   

I remember I didn't get the Algebra intuition until I was taking Trig EA.   The instant recognition that if variables are on the bottom of a fraction move them to the top by multiplying.   Then do what is needed to move the variables to one side, and the number-only things to the other side.  She isn't to that point yet.