Menu

ideas please - winter road trip

gardenmom5

Good chance we will be doing a winter road trip in the next four - six weeks. probably less.  date is unknown at this time. yes - we get to cross the blue mountains (side eye).  We've done it in a blizzard before . . . not fun. It was at night too.   If we can fly, we probably will, but that might not be an option. yes, we will check weather, but that won't stop us.   anyway - probably three adults.

throw me out ideas (yeah, I have chains, I have gloves for putting on chains, a tarp to throw down on the ground, even have kitty litter, . . .etc.)

so - gadgets and doodads to make an 850 mile drive more pleasant . . .

I have a mid-size SUV, there would be an adult in the middle row (which is a split seat) - but the rest would be cargo and space for luggage, coolers, and snacks.  I don't have a car top carrier anymore, and no, I'm not buying one.  While I really like this trailer hitch cargo carrier, (i bought one for 2dd.  she rolled her eyes at me a lot. she was surprised you can still open the tailgate,  dsil liked it better than the one he bought at harbor freight.  I knew he would appreciate it . . . . ) -I probably won't be buying one of those for me. . . 

so - gadgets . . . . 

eta: it's interstate freeway the entire way.

Edited by gardenmom5

For Christmas the past few years we've made sure every car in the house has a portable air compressor/battery jump.  Going over mountains especially would make me more comfortable having one in my car than trying to rely on gas stations.

Other than that, I'll say I still have those back of the seat baby kick mats/organizers.  They're perfect for charging cables, wipes, snacks..bingo cards...I've collected about 6 different versions of road trip bingo, getting new sets of 2 whenever we saw them.  Even the grown ups like them in our house.  Right now those, and our National Parks Passports are about the only constant things that go in the car for trips. 

• Like 3

Since it is a road trip, I assume you will have plenty of food, water, blankets, flashlights, small shovel, etc in case you get stuck somewhere for an extended time. I’d add a battery pack to recharge phones if the car won’t start. 

• Like 1

Definitely those hand warmer packs. Aldi has a bag of of ten packs for $4.99. You can get a camping, thermos that plugs into the cigarette lighter and keeps fluid warm. Would be great for keeping coffee, tea, cocoa, or soup warm. I would be inclined to have an emergency first aid kit plus Mylar emergency blankets to use over top of any fabric blankets you have because this protects against moisture should the car be damaged (broken windows come to mind) when sliding off the road or something. 

I would think about it in terms of "primitive camping", and take those kinds of essentials. Protect against the elements, plenty of food and water in case one is stuck for a couple of days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Audiobooks, earphones, phone chargers

Books, sudoku, word finds

Car shoes - I don't like to travel with icy/snowy/salty shoes so I always take a pair of slip on shoes to drive or ride in. I keep my outside walking boots/shoes in a grocery bag within easy reach and change after pulling into a gas station/rest stop and change back into the slip ons before leaving. It adds a few seconds to the trip but helps maintain cleanliness and comfort.

Old towels or inexpensive throw rugs to protect the floor of the car from mud and salt

If you'll be traveling through states that salt the highways, make certain you have topped your windshield wiper fluid. Cleaning the dratted dried salt can drain fluids 

Nighttime driving - flashlight with extra batteries, something to clean snow-/saltcovered headlights