Menu

Venture CC for travel points?

DawnM

I feel really dumb for not knowing this, but when I have gotten points in the past, it was with a specific cc, like an American Airlines CC to book with AA.

So, if you have enough points for a flight on the Venture CC, how do you book it?   Throughout the Venture website?    Would it be the same amount of points?   Or am I better off with specific CCs?

Thanks,

https://www.capitalone.com/learn-grow/money-management/ways-to-redeem-venture-miles/

This explains it really clearly.  But also look into points websites to give you even more advanced ways to use your miles or points.  

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/redeeming-capital-one-miles-maximum-value/

https://thriftytraveler.com/guides/points/use-capital-one-venture-miles/

Other ones work like this too, like Chase cards that are just giving you points not a United Card or what not.  For instance Chase Preferred.  But Chase has lots of cards that earn the same kind of points.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

https://www.capitalone.com/learn-grow/money-management/ways-to-redeem-venture-miles/

This explains it really clearly.  But also look into points websites to give you even more advanced ways to use your miles or points.  

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/redeeming-capital-one-miles-maximum-value/

https://thriftytraveler.com/guides/points/use-capital-one-venture-miles/

Other ones work like this too, like Chase cards that are just giving you points not a United Card or what not.  For instance Chase Preferred.  But Chase has lots of cards that earn the same kind of points.

Thanks.  I have looked through the first two already before posting.

I guess one thing I am not clear on is......let's say I want to book a British Airways flight from the US to London.   So I book through the website but are the points worth the same?   It won't allow me into the site without making an account.

So....let's say BA points require 50,000 points.....will the Chase site also list it for 50k points or do they hike it up a bit?   

I already have chase cards that give me regular points.   I am doing one of the "sign on bonus rewards" things, not just racking up points, so I want to make sure I am looking at the right card to maximize the bonus sign on reward points.

6 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Thanks.  I have looked through the first two already before posting.

I guess one thing I am not clear on is......let's say I want to book a British Airways flight from the US to London.   So I book through the website but are the points worth the same?   It won't allow me into the site without making an account.

So....let's say BA points require 50,000 points.....will the Chase site also list it for 50k points or do they hike it up a bit?   

I already have chase cards that give me regular points.   I am doing one of the "sign on bonus rewards" things, not just racking up points, so I want to make sure I am looking at the right card to maximize the bonus sign on reward points.

Um both?  Lots of times it is the same and other times it is bit more expensive.  I have seen both when we search things.  It isn't just a simple it is or isn't better.  Just seems to depend on the trip/day or any other variable. The best deals you are going to get using points like that is transferring them to an airline when they are having a transfer bonus and them using them that way.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Um both?  Lots of times it is the same and other times it is bit more expensive.  I have seen both when we search things.  It isn't just a simple it is or isn't better.  Just seems to depend on the trip/day or any other variable. The best deals you are going to get using points like that is transferring them to an airline when they are having a transfer bonus and them using them that way.  

Thanks.   Are the transfer bonus times still a fee of some sort?   

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I am not really sure what you are asking.  Do you mean is there a transfer fee?  No there isn't any that I know of.

I was confused by the bonus I think.   You mean they give you a bonus, not that there is normally a fee and the bonus is no fee.....

In my experience with a. Venture card, you simply book the flight with the airline. After the bill is posted to the credit card, you click on use points (or something like that) and see what expenses are eligible for reimbursement. Your plane tickets will be listed there. 

You would then click on your flight costs to have them covered by your CO points. 

We went on a trip recently, and I followed the above process to pay for our VRBO and our flights on a budget airline. When I originally opened the card years ago, I used the welcome bonus points to pay for Disney tickets. ( I remember there was a bit of a concern on how tickets would be coded by seller for that to work.) 

On our recent trip, anything charged by the airline showed up as available to be covered by points. 

I have booked hotels through venture site, but I've never noticed if you can book flights. 

• Like 1

What LC said. I use the cap one app or site to go to points area, then do a re-wind on the charge. Travel purchases that are eligible will be available for rewind after they post, so a few days sometimes. I rewind for flights, Lyft, hotels, Airbnb, etc. HTH

ETA Yes, I make the the purchase as per normal, so it’s a reimbursement. They have a way to book through them or look at offers, but IME they were not as good a deal, points-wise, as booking wherever/however I wanted to then using the purchase rewind.

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

I use both Cap One and USBank Flexperks for travel.  In my experience, it seems like USBank points add up faster, so I tend to use that one more.  With Cap One, I usually book my own reservation (I can often find more specifically what I'm looking for and sometimes for a better deal when I do it myself), and then go back and get a credit for it.  With USBank, I always just use their own travel site.  I don't know if they even do the credit-back thing?  But for some reason their travel site seems to give me choices and deals that work for me.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 7:46 AM, DawnM said:

I was confused by the bonus I think.   You mean they give you a bonus, not that there is normally a fee and the bonus is no fee.....

Different airlines will run a bonus when you transfer points to them.  Like they will give you a 20% or 30% more points when you transfer points into their plan.  So you do that with your Venture or Chase points and get more points.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Different airlines will run a bonus when you transfer points to them.  Like they will give you a 20% or 30% more points when you transfer points into their plan.  So you do that with your Venture or Chase points and get more points.

Ah, gotcha!