Menu

Anyone doing the 1000 hours outside challenge this year?

Elizabeth86

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Faith-manor Gorgeous photo! I nice, quick deposit of the side of the ship works really well and clears the head for quite a while. 😉 Just stay up on the top deck and don't linger inside the cabin - that is much worse on the body.

Well, this is a small sailboat. 19 ft. Seats 4. We just have 1 deck, and in really choppy waters, she is a beast. Not enough mass to smooth the ride out at all.

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Well, this is a small sailboat. 19 ft. Seats 4. We just have 1 deck, and in really choppy waters, she is a beast. Not enough mass to smooth the ride out at all.

Yikes! That is tiny. My canoe is nearly that long. I'd be heading to shore, too!!

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

Yikes! That is tiny. My canoe is nearly that long. I'd be heading to shore, too!!

Yes, she is a small sailboat. But, we can tow her with a mini-van, and she is easy to crew. When it is just the 2 of us, it is very nice. Larger boats would mean we have to buy a very expensive vehicle for towing, we wouldn't fit in the cheaper transient slips, and we would need a bigger, more expensive motor for trolling out the channel. We wanted something fun and economical. Mark's brother has a pick up truck and tows as 23 ft, but many times he envies us because his outfit costs so much more. In a few years, we will need to replace the sails, and it isn't going to break the bank at all. It is $2500 more for his brother's sails, and the typical 27-32ft boats in the marina run upwards of $10,000.00 

What I do need to figure out is how to recover the cushions in the little tiny cabin. This boat was made in 1979. She had been immaculately cared for, but honestly, the fabric is wearing for sure, and I hate the pattern. I don't have a commercial/industrial sewing machine so I shudder to think what I will need to pay to have it done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes, she is a small sailboat. But, we can tow her with a mini-van, and she is easy to crew. When it is just the 2 of us, it is very nice. Larger boats would mean we have to buy a very expensive vehicle for towing, we wouldn't fit in the cheaper transient slips, and we would need a bigger, more expensive motor for trolling out the channel. We wanted something fun and economical. Mark's brother has a pick up truck and tows as 23 ft, but many times he envies us because his outfit costs so much more. In a few years, we will need to replace the sails, and it isn't going to break the bank at all. It is $2500 more for his brother's sails, and the typical 27-32ft boats in the marina run upwards of $10,000.00 

What I do need to figure out is how to recover the cushions in the little tiny cabin. This boat was made in 1979. She had been immaculately cared for, but honestly, the fabric is wearing for sure, and I hate the pattern. I don't have a commercial/industrial sewing machine so I shudder to think what I will need to pay to have it done.

I didn't mean to criticize at all. I thought you were on Lake Michigan, and assumed a much larger craft. I'd be terrified to be out on a huge lake with waves and wind in a wee sailboat, but I'm not a sailor just a paddler. 😉 

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I didn't mean to criticize at all. I thought you were on Lake Michigan, and assumed a much larger craft. I'd be terrified to be out on a huge lake with waves and wind in a wee sailboat, but I'm not a sailor just a paddler. 😉 

We are on Lake Huron. I knew you weren't criticizing. I was just explaining why we use a smaller vessel. Definitely, being a sailor is very different from paddling. Compacs are a self righting boat. They have a cement keel and cannot capsize. LOL, a racing sloop she is NOT. If we were dumb enough to enter a regatta, our handicap would probably be so bad, we would start the race the day before! 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

We are on Lake Huron. I knew you weren't criticizing. I was just explaining why we use a smaller vessel. Definitely, being a sailor is very different from paddling. Compacs are a self righting boat. They have a cement keel and cannot capsize. LOL, a racing sloop she is NOT. If we were dumb enough to enter a regatta, our handicap would probably be so bad, we would start the race the day before! 😂😂😂

I do like the sounds of a cement keel and self righting boat! I didn't even know those were options.  Lake Huron is an inland sea, and I'd be careful, like you are. I stick to smaller rivers and creeks, because I just love the peacefulness of being on the water watching the wildlife.

8 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

This prompted a nice trip down memory lane:

My family had a Sandpiper 565 when I was a kid.  Sounds similar to what you have: 18'6" long.  Slept 4 in the cabin.  Trailerable.  Amazingly seaworthy.

It was fantastic.  We sailed that thing all over Lake Ontario, and trailered it to other inland lake systems (ie Muskoka) for weeklong family sailing holidays.   We nicknamed it "Tigger" because it was so bouncy in big waves.   We loved it.   Fond memories!

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wathe said:

This prompted a nice trip down memory lane:

My family had a Sandpiper 565 when I was a kid.  Sounds similar to what you have: 18'6" long.  Slept 4 in the cabin.  Trailerable.  Amazingly seaworthy.

It was fantastic.  We sailed that thing all over Lake Ontario, and trailered it to other inland lake systems (ie Muskoka) for weeklong family sailing holidays.   We nicknamed it "Tigger" because it was so bouncy in big waves.   We loved it.   Fond memories!

That Sindpiper looks gorgeous!! In another life I would have loved to do more sailing. Alas, I grew up in AB with limited water options and no family with sailing experience. I embraced paddling instead, but still admire the sails. 😉 

• Like 1