Menu

Hive doggy experts….

BlsdMama

Through a FB page devoted to a specific breed lovers of our state, I found a gal rehoming a few dogs - a 3yo female, 2yo male, and a young half/mixed pup. I assumed backyard breeder, but this was not a pup so I felt I’m not contributing to a puppy problem.  DH drove three hours south to get what is possibly the world’s most adorable dog. He is so sweet, but on the way back? Repeated bouts of diarrhea, some of it appeared bloody. We’re keeping him away from Saga and we’re calling the very first thing in the AM to get him checked out. It could be fairly benign, right? I’m worried about parvovirus. He’s eating fine, perky, interested in people and environment. 

1 hour ago, BlsdMama said:

Through a FB page devoted to a specific breed lovers of our state, I found a gal rehoming a few dogs - a 3yo female, 2yo male, and a young half/mixed pup. I assumed backyard breeder, but this was not a pup so I felt I’m not contributing to a puppy problem.  DH drove three hours south to get what is possibly the world’s most adorable dog. He is so sweet, but on the way back? Repeated bouts of diarrhea, some of it appeared bloody. We’re keeping him away from Saga and we’re calling the very first thing in the AM to get him checked out. It could be fairly benign, right? I’m worried about parvovirus. He’s eating fine, perky, interested in people and environment. 

Yes, it could be benign. Could be worms, could be dietary indiscretion, could be something awful like parvo, could be stress.  You are right to keep the dogs separated and get new pup checked out in the am. I'd definitely get a parvo test!  They can run them in office so you'll know right away if it's parvo. 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 5:52 AM, MercyA said:

@BlsdMama, any update? 

So sorry for leaving you all hanging! DH called Monday morning and they slid him in in the afternoon. I was so grateful. They were getting dogs from vehicles and not allowing anyone in the waiting area; I presume due to the virus. 

Negative for parvovirus! He has two types of worms and the vet says he’s a bit underweight. He was supposedly a mini aussie but he’s definitely not full. We think he is likely aussie and papillon. He’s a very delicateIMG_3535.thumb.jpeg.a18c0eeeee9d8aa0f8518832a47e0a74.jpeg twelve pounds!!!!! We are NOT small dog people, or so we thought!

He was not a house dog but he has the best manners. He’s not fearful but he is reserved. He loves DH best right now but is adored by our 9 & 10 year old. 

Our only concern is that we’ve been introducing Saga and Tucker and Saga is wholly unaware of their size difference. She plays rough and she is an incredibly fit and muscular 70 lbs. They are thrilled to meet and sniff but Saga gets so excited. She is the same with my daughter’s corgi but he’s a very sturdy 30-35 pounds and he loves tussling with her. Any experience with this?

• Like 13

Tucker turns 2 on Christmas Day. Saga is, best estimate, 2.5. Being a mix of larger breeds, she has a lot of silly goofy puppy in her. Thankfully she loves outside time when it’s cold so keeping them apart or heavily supervised is easy now but it is obviously easier if they could be together. 

• Like 1

He's ADORABLE. 💕 Thank you for the update! I'm glad he's okay.

I thought papillon immediately when I saw the pic. They are such good-natured dogs. 🙂 

You may find that you love having a little dog! They can sit in your lap, be bathed in the sink, and carried around like a baby. They travel easily. And, of course, they have just as much personality and intelligence as big dogs.

Very happy for you! ❤️

• Like 3