Menu

Would you eat this evaporated milk edition

MEmama

If you open an unexpired can of evaporated milk (shaken) and the top is cheesy and sticks like a solid to the top of the can, would you still use it for pumpkin pie? 

The first can I poured down the drain but the second one is no different. I’ve never seen this before. 

IMG_4188.jpeg

Probably not.  And it's odd because I had a couple of cans of sweetened condensed milk that did kind of the same thing.  I've used it to make Key Lime Pie for years and the milk always poured out of the can.  Thick, but still poured.  But the last 2 cans I bought I had to dig out of the can.  And the pie didn't taste right either.  I ended up throwing the pie away.  

I think the factory screwed up or it was stored improperly (at store or in shipping) with mine.  And your evaporated milk looks kind of gross, too.

Edited by kathyl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Does the texture seem curdled or simply separated?  Is it possible that the can froze at some point, which can cause separation?

My canning shelves are along the stairwell to the heated basement, so extremely unlikely to have frozen unless it was on the truck or something. I'll try my third can but if it looks the same I'll use almond milk instead.

It's curdled and thick on top, then thin below.