Menu

Common App Dual Enrollment official transcripts?

blue plaid

I was just planning on listing my son's dual enrollment courses on his high school transcript and denoting them as dual enrollment.  However, he is planning on applying at University of Michigan, and in their list of required things that must be submitted prior to the application deadline is  "Official college transcripts (for high school students dual enrolled in a college or university)"

So I guess I have to figure out how to do this?  Is it going to be weird to have the official college transcript together with my homemade transcript that includes the same classes?  Should I call them and ask if they are kidding? 🙂

I am not sure how I am supposed to get an official electronic transcript from the school that I can upload into the app though I will look into it if I need to.

I was planning on saying I had 2 transcripts, one being the actual transcript and the second being my course descriptions ... so I guess now I need to do 3?

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!!

Yes. All schools require official transcripts from DE courses.  There is a National Student Clearing House where you should be able to order official copies. EtA: I'd have them sent to the schools directly. You can upload unofficial and note that official will be sent to the school.

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, 8filltheheart!  I totally understand schools need an official transcript for awarding credit, but it is for just applying that seems like overkill.

Georgia Tech for example says

College transcripts are required for application review if your high school transcript does not list dual enrollment classes and/or grades.

hmm maybe I really should just call Michigan and see if this is what they mean ...?

We were able to order transcripts via my son's student portal for the university. They use a service called Parchment. It probably varies by the university how it is done, but it was pretty simple. There was a fee for each transcript ordered, but we just had to tell them which colleges to send them to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok thanks so much! I really didn't know this was a thing.  I found the link from my son's school to send the transcripts through parchment and it isn't too expensive so I guess we will go with it.  I assume that I don't count this as one of the transcripts I am going to upload on the common app since it will be sent directly. (?)

• Like 1

Our local cc also used Parchment and we sent them directly. Some schools didn't require official transcripts unless you were accepted and decided to attend, which would have been a bit of a money saver but we sent them anyway with the application, just to be safe and to conform my transcript early on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, blue plaid said:

Ok thanks so much! I really didn't know this was a thing.  I found the link from my son's school to send the transcripts through parchment and it isn't too expensive so I guess we will go with it.  I assume that I don't count this as one of the transcripts I am going to upload on the common app since it will be sent directly. (?)

I didn't attach it to common app. I just submitted our transcript and then ordered the college transcript via Parchment once the common app was submitted.  My transcript did indicate the college courses. I figured they would want the official college transcript to verify my information. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, blue plaid said:

Thanks, 8filltheheart!  I totally understand schools need an official transcript for awarding credit, but it is for just applying that seems like overkill.

Georgia Tech for example says

College transcripts are required for application review if your high school transcript does not list dual enrollment classes and/or grades.

hmm maybe I really should just call Michigan and see if this is what they mean ...?

Weird. My kid was admitted to Georgia Tech without official DE transcript. I just listed them on mine. 
However if I had to do this again, I would pdf unofficial de transcript together with homeschool one. 

• Thanks 1