Menu

Brain fog--- glutathione?

Shelydon

I’ve considered adding it to my stack. ETA: my research is showing that the best way to boost glutathione is to take NAC and glycine in equal amounts. I already have NAC…

I am focusing on NAD+ precursors atm, so I take 500mg of liposomal NMN every day. 

My Dh can absolutely tell a difference in his physical stamina since starting NMN. He also feels more motivated. He has never struggled with brain fog though. It’s been pretty dramatic for him, and I’ve witnessed the difference.

I ((think)) it is helping me mentally/cognitively, but I haven’t been taking it long—a month maybe—and I have been sick and in an AI flare during that time. I will continue taking it regardless just to get my NAD+ levels up.

All of this stuff gets very complicated. So much of these molecules are interdependent. 

Edited by popmom

13 hours ago, popmom said:

I’ve considered adding it to my stack. ETA: my research is showing that the best way to boost glutathione is to take NAC and glycine in equal amounts. I already have NAC…

I am focusing on NAD+ precursors atm, so I take 500mg of liposomal NMN every day. 

My Dh can absolutely tell a difference in his physical stamina since starting NMN. He also feels more motivated. He has never struggled with brain fog though. It’s been pretty dramatic for him, and I’ve witnessed the difference.

I ((think)) it is helping me mentally/cognitively, but I haven’t been taking it long—a month maybe—and I have been sick and in an AI flare during that time. I will continue taking it regardless just to get my NAD+ levels up.

All of this stuff gets very complicated. So much of these molecules are interdependent. 

Thanks you! I have been considering NAC too. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, popmom said:

What brand do you use? Thanks so much. 

2 hours ago, madteaparty said:

What brand do you use? Thanks so much. 

I really like Renue By Science for NMN. I also use their skincare.

My NAC is BioAdvantex PharmaNAC which is kind of expensive for NAC. I am going to do some more research before I reorder. I got that brand because each tablet is individually foil wrapped. NAC degrades pretty quickly. Renue is expensive, too, but I can take less mg of their stuff because of the liposomal delivery. More of the product is absorbed/makes it past the digestive tract. 

I have just started researching adding glycine, so I don't have a rec on that. Some people supplement crazy amounts of that stuff. I'm really leary of that, but I want enough to up my glutathione levels with my NAC. I need to read the studies first, but I think most of the studies were done on mice, so... lol

I need to make more bone broth!

ETA: While I do take the NMN every single day, I do not take NAC every single day. I may take it, say, 3 days in a row and then switch to TMG for a couple of days. I am sort of "pulsing" those (methyl donors). Same with methylcobalamin (b12) and methylfolate. I am NOT an expert. I'm just going on my "gut" on this. 😉

Edited by popmom

1 hour ago, Shelydon said:

Choosing a company from which to purchase supplements has been incredibly difficult. It's so hard to know which one to pick

Agree! I have a paid subscription to Consumerlab. It’s not as comprehensive as I’d like, but it’s the best source I’ve found. Other than that—I have to go by word of mouth or rely on certain experts in the fields of study that affect me most. 

Expensive does not always = quality. Consumerlab does a good job of covering a wide price range.

24 minutes ago, Shelydon said:

I have some Standard Process, Thorne and Innate right now. 🤷‍♀️ No idea if these are better than others. 

I use Thorne for methylfolate and b12. Thorne is definitely a company I trust. I’m not familiar with the others you mentioned, but that doesn’t mean anything! There are a LOT of good suppliers out there! 

ETA I feel like there a lot of others on the board that are really knowledgeable (much more than me) on this topic, so hopefully someone else will chime in or you can start a thread on just that topic. 🙂

Edited by popmom

54 minutes ago, popmom said:

I use Thorne for methylfolate and b12. Thorne is definitely a company I trust. I’m not familiar with the others you mentioned, but that doesn’t mean anything! There are a LOT of good suppliers out there! 

ETA I feel like there a lot of others on the board that are really knowledgeable (much more than me) on this topic, so hopefully someone else will chime in or you can start a thread on just that topic. 🙂

Standard Process is usually sold by a Natropathic doctor.  I have a relative who is really into that brand and gave me several things.  My biggest complaint is the pills are big thus hard to swallow. Innate is similar.  No idea if that makes them better

1 minute ago, Shelydon said:

Standard Process is usually sold by a Natropathic doctor.  I have a relative who is really into that brand and gave me several things.  My biggest complaint is the pills are big thus hard to swallow. Innate is similar.  No idea if that makes them better

Hmmm. Not sure I would trust that to be honest. And I'm with you...I cannot swallow big pills. 

My brain fog is directly connected to being hypothyroid. My new endo slashed my thyroid meds by 2/3, and the brain fog/depression/fatigue was debilitating. Now that I've been working with my primary care to increase my meds to the appropriate level, my brain works again.

• Like 1

Glutathione is an anti oxidant.  Form matters if you want to get it into the cell.  I would question if it would make a difference for brain fog - many things can cause brain fog, and I would expect treatment would vary according to what is causing it.

We did a three month course of treatment of daily Glutathione injections for dudeling.  It did help some of his ASD symptoms.

Edited by gardenmom5

My Mom takes Canada Drugs glutathione for brain fog and fortunately, it works for her. From what I read, glutathione plays a crucial role in protecting the brain from oxidative stress which can contribute to the development of mental health conditions (not only brain fog but also other neurological disorders).

However, it has to be noted, that not only meds can help. Changing a diet, getting more sleep, spending less time on the computer or phone, regularly exercising, avoiding alcohol and smoking, etc. are additional ways to solve the problem.

Edited by Rosla