Menu

Winter golf trip---TX, AR, other?

OhioMomof3

A few friends and I are planning on a winter golf trip for late January. We're leaning toward Texas or Arizona for warm weather. We went to Pensacola, FL last year, and the group didn't like the courses---sandy ground plays entirely differently than the midwestern grassy courses we have here. Does anyone here know what the courses are like in Texas or Arizona? If you have any great areas to consider, I'm all ears. Thanks, all!

Bermuda

I don't golf, just overheard some golfers saying that's what they were doing when they got there. Me, I'd be hitting the beach or at least eating their amazing fish on raisin bread sandwiches. 

How far south would you go in Texas? We were in Houston/Galveston one year in Jan and it will pretty nippy and overcast, not my idea of a sunny golf vacation.

You might punch places into Southwest and see what comes up. You'd be surprised where you can fly to directly on the cheap.

Edited by PeterPan

I would look around the San Antonio area if you are looking in Texas.  There are a number of golf courses within San Antonio and the surrounding area that are open year round.  Usually, the end of January is going to be fine temperature-wise--but there is a possibility of temps in the 90s or freezing temps that time of year.  You can find a number of public courses in San Antonio and there are also a number of resorts with courses.  

My dad used to golf in Arizona. He said that there were grass courses (more expensive) and sandy courses, with just the actual green being grass. 

People in my area go to North or South Carolina to golf in the winter. Not sure the exact month, though. Personally, I'd assume that if the region is generally sandy, then the golf courses are going to be this way.