Menu

Anyone read the Economist magazine?

Tap

I am thinking about getting dh this for Christmas, but wonder if it is worth the heafty price tag. He seems to be getting more interested in the hows and whys of the economy but I don't know if it is too heavy to actually sit and read it if you are not a captain of industry or work in finance.

Fyi for anyone who doesn't subscribe it runs about $100 yr.

We've had a sub since waaay back when we got out of uni. Before that I would get my dad's copy so I was always a week or 2 late with reading about the news .....

It is SO worth it. Check it out online to get a sense of the articles. Dh and I tend to read it differently & we read diff sections more indepth. It depends on your interests. It's not a technical journal about economics - it's about current affairs, politics, business, economics, science & technology and the arts.

Lately I've been trying listening to it - they put the entire issue on mp3's for subscribers & you can download it & have someone read it to you in a lovely English accent. :D

ETA - there is a lot of dry humour and wit in the articles. And their choice of photos and captions can be hilarious.

We got a free subscription with credit card points and received it for about 5 months. I would liken it to an intelligent Time magazine. I appreciated the increased international analysis compared with American magazines. I have no interest in business but still enjoyed reading it. I think the sticking point with us was having a weekly magazine. Great if you have a lot of reading time but towards the end they were starting to pile up.

Susan

Wow, is that the yearly cost?

It's actually $116. I gave a subscription to my husband for Christmas this year. He traded in some airline points for a 6-month subscription last year which he enjoyed immensely but then felt too guilty to renew it when it ran out because it's so expensive.

It will definitely be worth it to him. He loved it!

Wow, is that the yearly cost?

...I was responding to the OP's remark that she could get it for that...my latest issue (from Nov.) has the yearly subscription rate at $129. (I'm guessing she's found a discount online, somewhere, which is possible to do).

As someone else said, I think for me it's better to buy issue by issue, or they'd likely pile up. (They're about $6.99 off the shelf at the bookstore). But I still drop the hints about getting a subscription as a present, lol.

Last Christmas my son (then a high school junior) asked for a subscription to The Economist. We were a little surprised but went ahead and ordered it for him. He devours every issue, and we enjoy reading it when he's through.

He told us that it's a popular mag among the debate crowd in our area. I rolled my eyes when he said that, but the very next day I was at the grocery store and overheard the high-school-aged girl in line in front of me talking about how she was getting a subscription to The Economist and how excited she was about it.

At the Economist website in the subscription section, there is a tab for students. If you click the tap, there are some options for a 'trial' membership. You can get 4 free magazines and then have different options for membership afterwards. We chose the 12 magazine subscription for $20 so he can see if he likes it or not. I feel better gambling $20 on a subscription than $100!

FYI if anyone is interested in a new subscription:

code: ksu20 = 51 issues at $98

additional subscription 51 issues for $69

We've had a sub since waaay back when we got out of uni. Before that I would get my dad's copy so I was always a week or 2 late with reading about the news .....

It is SO worth it. Check it out online to get a sense of the articles. Dh and I tend to read it differently & we read diff sections more indepth. It depends on your interests. It's not a technical journal about economics - it's about current affairs, politics, business, economics, science & technology and the arts.

Lately I've been trying listening to it - they put the entire issue on mp3's for subscribers & you can download it & have someone read it to you in a lovely English accent. :D

ETA - there is a lot of dry humour and wit in the articles. And their choice of photos and captions can be hilarious.

:iagree:

And I will repeat myself: reading it weekly for the last 16 years has been the single most "self-improving" thing I've done, and it is a habit I recommend to all.