Menu

July Healthy Eating

Selkie

We had scrambled eggs yesterday morning (Saturday), and then sub sandwiches heavy on the veggies, but also everyone was quite cheese hungry. This is what happens when you have the empty legged bachelor sons home for the weekend! 😂

Then we had tacos for supper. Lots of beans which are my favorite thing.

Today, we each ate a couple of boiled eggs for breakfast and then downed what seemed like a gallon of coffee, but probably was not. This was a safe thing to do because it is raining today so no sailing! It is a bad idea to drink quite that much caffeine prior to the 2-3 hour trip on a sailboat with no bathroom! 😁

For lunch, we had a break in the rain, so Mark got a fire going in the fire ring. I washed and cut up, potatoes, green beans, broccoli, carrots, onions, and asparagus. I had a small amount of chicken breast. Every person got to make up a packet according to what they enjoy eating and then put 2-3oz of chicken in each one with a little butter and all the good herbs and spices. We rolled them in two layers of aluminum foil, and tossed them in the coals. Mark turned them regularly while I sauteed mushrooms inside and also fried green tomatoes. We also threw corn on the cob in the coals, roasted in their husks.

Either absolutely divine! We had seven people at lunch, and I think every single person ate a minimum of 5 servings of vegetables, some of more than that. This was followed up with strawberry/rhubarb pie, berries and rhubarb fresh form my mom's garden. There were also raspberries with cream.

At this point, we have an amazing Sunday food coma going, and we will not be cooking anything at all for dinner. There are leftover veggies from the packets, and sliced cheese. So if anyone gets hungry, I am warming the vegetables, and putting out a cheese tray with the sourdough bread left from yesterday, and folks can just graze.

• Like 1

Yesterday my husband was in charge. Not a lot of healthy eating. He made a breakfast casserole that I skipped, then we picked up pizzas for lunch, and made tacos for dinner (I only had 1).

Today I fasted til 2. I then had 2 boiled eggs with Redmond salt, Brazil nuts, roasted red pepper hummus with crackers, and plain Greek yogurt topped with honey granola, shredded unsweetened coconut, cherries, blueberries, and strawberries. Dinner is a black bean quesadilla meal from Every Plate. 

• Like 2

We were at family camp last week, so I was eating out of a cafeteria. It's one place where there are clear benefits to being one of the special-foods people--the protein provided was almost always regular food that was baked or broiled. For example, if the campers had chicken fingers, I was given baked chicken. I was intentional about loading up on fruits and veggies all week, so that's a win as well.

Monday

Banana before class.

Breakfast--eggs with a smidge of Spanish rice, plus a peach on the side

Lunch--low-sugar granola with oat milk, cherries on the side

Snack--dark chocolate

Dinner--pork chop, wild rice, broccoli, salad

• Like 2

Our lovely holiday meals were:

Specialty coffee with bourbon, chocolate cream liqueur. Very yummy. Not the healthy thing.

Pancakes with fresh raspberries from my mom's garden, and black caps (black raspberries which are even sweeter) if from our yard.

At noon, after a lovely morning sail on Lake Huron, we made burgers. Some folks had beef. I had black bean. Sauteed mushrooms, roast corn on the cob, salads with more snow peas from our garden, and radishes from the garden as well. I think this will be the last of the peas since it is getting so hot out. Raspberries and whipped cream on brownies for all the young people. I did not partake.

Dinner - we ate a lot of the leftovers from the last three days of festivities. I made a large salad with some chopped turkey and provolone on top, the last pea pods, red pepper, black beans, chives, the very first chili pepper from the garden, and topped it with pureed picante sauce and a little Greek yogurt in the blender to make a zesty, creamy dressing. It really hit the spot. Then we all went for an evening kayak/float.

We are now utterly bone tired. Contented, and had so much fun together. Reveling in the glow, but going to bed and taking it easy tomorrow. I will make pancakes before everyone takes off for their homes and job, topped with more raspberries, blueberries, black caps, and some maple cream for those that want it. Then Mark and I plan on eating very simply tomorrow, light and easy.

• Like 1

Not healthy again. Donuts for breakfast. Lunch was BBQ ribs (I skipped these), pasta salad, and limas. Dinner was a burger with monterey jack cheese and grilled onions and wedge fries. We also had a white cake with homemade whipped cream and blueberries and strawberries. We did swim and walk today but I still feel like it was too much fat and carbs and not feel-good food for me. 

We have managed to get back on the healthy bandwagon now that all of the houseguests and sailing and kayaking festivities are done. We kind of loaded around in food comas for a couple of days. But now things are better.

Today we each slayed a battalion to coffee beans, and had two boiled eggs.

Salads for lunch

Dinner was beef and broccoli or with carrots (from our garden, so yummy), over fried rice. Light on the beef. Heavy on the broccoli. I used garlic, ginger, a small sprinkle of brown sugar, gf soy sauce, and peanuts in the sauce.

We decided to lead a healthy lifestyle again and returned to eating without sugar, so our diet looked like this yesterday
Breakfast: Green smoothie
Snack: Macadamia nuts
Lunch: Avocado+shredded chicken
Dinner: Salmon + greens
It was very tasty and filling, and most importantly, I didn't feel hungry or need sugar
My friend recommended me this one  https://betterme.world/articles/no-sugar-diet/  and I don't really know if it will help me, but I want to try..

Edited by eve0806

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. I have been busy and remiss about posting, but I wanted to check in:

Right now the garden is really producing. We are eating a lot of summer salads, and I regret not planting salad greens because we have to buy those. But we are using green peppers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, scallions, radishes, and cucumbers from the garden. We are also regularly eating roasted green beans as my plants seem happy and prolific.

A typical morning is boiled or scrambled eggs. If we scramble, we add green pepper, mushrooms, and spinach. 

Lots of salads at lunch, and sometimes I use the veg to make pasta salad with the veggies, plus feta cheese and Italian dressing.

Suppers tend to be lean protein, roast green beans, carrots, or broccoli in a rotation, sometimes taco salad - butter lettuce base, homemade salsa, black beans, a few crushed tortilla chips, and topped with Greek yogurt mixed with homemade taco sauce. Lots of black beans, small amount of shredded sharp cheddar. Mark really likes this as a meatless meal.

Last night I made a very veggie laden chicken stew with one chicken breast and homemade dumplings. It was raining cats and dogs, very stormy, and for some reason soup sounded nice.

• Like 2

I have really missed this thread. I don’t post much but always followed it and read and gained so much inspiration. I hope everyone is doing well. 
My husband had major complications after his second cancer surgery and just got home from the hospital late Thursday night. I was super impressed with the hospital’s healthy food options! I had two fab vegan salads. One with edamame, almonds and sunflower seeds, lemon poppyseed dressing. Another with spinach, roasted beets, apples, orange slices and pecans. I didn’t detect any dressing on that one, but it didn’t need one as the beets and fruit had enough moisture and flavor. 
Alas. Yesterday was a comfort food, bad food day for me after sleeping (in my own bed!!!) 11 straight. Meals were good (vegetable sandwich for lunch, spaghetti for supper) but the snacking was really bad. Today, I return to sanity. 
I got an email that Dr Fuhrman is coming to my state this fall. I almost fell over when I saw the location. Just 20 or so miles from me! Yes, I am planning to go. 

• Like 1

We are cleaning out the fridge and freezer so I have 4 meals on schedule for the next 3 dinners and Sunday lunch: buffalo mac and cheese, chicken pot pie, tacos, and a frozen lasagna. Not on the healthy side but we need to eat this stuff ASAP. 

I am working all week away from home so I ordered Factor meals for myself and my husband for lunches, mostly the higher protein and keto options. We have a date night at the Cuban cafe early in the week. That's all I have at the moment. 

• Like 1