Menu

Well-trained bodies - July

Laura Corin

I got in a nice dog walk in the rain this morning before heading to Quebec to see ds' graduation from the first leg of his officer training course. We were able to take him out to dinner after the ceremony, then we walked around the old town, by a lovely canal, and shopped in a vinyl record store. It was really fun to see the good old record covers from my youth, along with a couple surprises of new albums. I didn't know that it was a modern practice for music artists to created vinyl copies of their new albums. We were able to stay in an officer's room on the base, and there was a guest book in the room. It was really fun to see all the people who have stayed here over the last couple decades. I learned a lot of military acronyms reading through the book. 😄

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I got in a nice dog walk in the rain this morning before heading to Quebec to see ds' graduation from the first leg of his officer training course. We were able to take him out to dinner after the ceremony, then we walked around the old town, by a lovely canal, and shopped in a vinyl record store. It was really fun to see the good old record covers from my youth, along with a couple surprises of new albums. I didn't know that it was a modern practice for music artists to created vinyl copies of their new albums. We were able to stay in an officer's room on the base, and there was a guest book in the room. It was really fun to see all the people who have stayed here over the last couple decades. I learned a lot of military acronyms reading through the book. 😄

Congratulations to you and your son!

• Like 1

So, instead of a full day to explore the town while waiting for ds to be released from his course, he phones us at 5:30 am and says he's outside with all his stuff, ready to go home. That's the military for you, I guess! I don't really know, as I'm a newbie to all this. We arrived home before 9am, and now I have a full day to rest and relax. Not too bad, actually. I'm definitely NOT going to work today. 

I took the dogs for a walk in the woods, and now I'm going to take a wee nap. 😄

• Like 3

My wrist hurts. I think it's from disabled dd's dentist appointment on Thursday. She has an awesome dental hygienist who puts up with the screaming and writhing to get the worst of the plaque build up off dd's teeth. I'm her assistant. For a wheelchair kid, dd is pretty strong. I was holding down both of her arms with one hand/arm so my other could help hold her head still. I think this hurt my wrist that was trying to hold both of her arms. So anyway, today I did a hands-free yoga and then a couple of short yogas for hands and wrists.

• Sad 3

Spent three hours yesterday walking around the zoo with teenagers. I was sooooo very thankful for the mild storm system that hovered over the area the entire time. The cloud cover kept everything much cooler and there were spatters of rain from time to time that were refreshing. 

Today I hope to ride the recumbent bike and do some light upper body work. 

• Like 3

15-mile walk today. The walk guide said it was 9, but I needed to walk to the start, and then I had to double back a few times when paths had become overgrown or plank bridges had disappeared.  15 miles is the longest I have walked, and it was hard. 

I photographed some Policeman's Helmets/Himalayan Balsam - very invasive - and also a private castle under renovation. 

20230730_114435.jpg

20230730_124913.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It was a really active day. Started out with a nicedog walk, then a 3.5 hr bike ride along the river to check out a newly renovated River House, with a river swimming area, surroinded by piers. It was really cool! I did another short bike ride to the grocery store for some emergency Doritos! Finished the day with 1.5 hr mixed doubles match. I had better sleep well after all that! 😅

• Like 3

Day of rest yesterday, 30 min on the treadmill this morning. I have 4 more non-scheduled weeks of summer left. Today is the last day of July. I have some errands to do, but I also plan to just enjoy summer. July is my favorite month of the year (here in Oregon--it was way too hot where I grew up in CA!). July is for no school work at all--I sometimes let myself think about how I want to start the year, but no planning, no picking up school books, not even printing out the calendar for the school year. July is for doing life, not school. And July is pretty much perfect here in Oregon--today will be 84°, sunny and beautiful.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin Great photos! Thanks for sharing. The flowers are gorgeous and the castle looks like a set prop for a movie. It looks unreal, as I'm not used to seeing castles with turrets outside of amusement parks or movie sets. 😅  We are the New World here, afterall.

I actually walked by two castles that day - this one sleeps 14 and is for rent for your holiday for £900 a night.  

Today - nice evening walk to work out how I missed my way at the beginning of my previous walk.

20230730_144353.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I actually walked by two castles that day - this one sleeps 14 and is for rent for your holiday for £900 a night.  

Today - nice evening walk to work out how I missed my way at the beginning of my previous walk.

20230730_144353.jpg

That is a pretty neat walking route you have there, Laura! Do you know any of the history behind these castles? They both look very different - turrets vs no turrets, and different colour stonework.

14 minutes ago, wintermom said:

That is a pretty neat walking route you have there, Laura! Do you know any of the history behind these castles? They both look very different - turrets vs no turrets, and different colour stonework.

Castle number 1 is mostly 18th and mid-19th century,  possibly concealing 16th century elements. So it's more of a mansion with flourishes, rather than a defensible castle.

Castle number 2 is what is know as a tower house - basically a fortified home, mostly for protection against hostile neighbours, but apparently also used as a refuge by a king or two. It dates from the 12th century but was largely rebuilt from a ruin in the 1990s. Local gossip suggests a banker and his wife bought it and renovated,  then she got it as part of her divorce settlement. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2