Menu

I'm throwing a pity party--wanna come? BYOS

Kidlit

6 hours ago, Eos said:

I'm in, a few days late.

Covid finally got me, in just two weeks after I stopped masking inside everywhere, proving my empirical belief that it is masking that prevents it, vaccines make it not-deadly.

DH and one dd are running our business, ds and ddil are here for dd18's high school graduation this Saturday, will I even be able to host this?  The whole family has moved into town to the business and left me breathing and coughing alone here at the house.  

Oh man that really stinks.  I am sorry.

Am I too late for a shameless whine.

I have zero energy left.

It’s been one emergency after another since Jan, two large funerals to plan and host. Eulogy burn out is a thing here. 

I’m on a horrible diet for IC and haven’t had a proper meal in forever, but gaining weight because all I can eat is essentially carbs (doesn’t work for my body).

Kid had a massive asthma attack on a trail yesterday, and while we made it back — it was frightening to all.

• Sad 11

On 6/16/2023 at 9:51 PM, Scarlett said:

I hope you can quit. Everyone in a house working full time is tough on family life.,quitting might be the self care you need. 

I agree.  Sit down and talk with your dh and kids places for travel.  Make a list.  Narrow it down to fit in to your budget based on 1 salary.  With that said, look at virtual classes. Can you teach college level and teach virtually.  IDK, just thinking outside the box.  Part-time teaching 2 classes instead of more.  Or, part-time work from home.  Not sure what that would look like and many of us have started topics on "working from home".  My niece and her husband are both teachers with a 2 year old!  It is a very difficult situation.   

6 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I agree.  Sit down and talk with your dh and kids places for travel.  Make a list.  Narrow it down to fit in to your budget based on 1 salary.  With that said, look at virtual classes. Can you teach college level and teach virtually.  IDK, just thinking outside the box.  Part-time teaching 2 classes instead of more.  Or, part-time work from home.  Not sure what that would look like and many of us have started topics on "working from home".  My niece and her husband are both teachers with a 2 year old!  It is a very difficult situation.   

Yes, I actually taught off and on for about 15 years part time at our local community college while we were homeschooling. I taught English--mostly freshman comp--and got SERIOUSLY burned out grading essays. I even taught online one semester when I first started (& online was still pretty new).  I don't know how I'd feel about it now.  The pay STINKS for the amount of work it is. It's not something I've ever thought about returning to. 

1 minute ago, Kidlit said:

Yes, I actually taught off and on for about 15 years part time at our local community college while we were homeschooling. I taught English--mostly freshman comp--and got SERIOUSLY burned out grading essays. I even taught online one semester when I first started (& online was still pretty new).  I don't know how I'd feel about it now.  The pay STINKS for the amount of work it is. It's not something I've ever thought about returning to. 

IDK, my niece's dh does well!  I'm sure it depends on state/district.  Tutoring.  Try corporate.  

1 minute ago, sheryl said:

IDK, my niece's dh does well!  I'm sure it depends on state/district.  Tutoring.  Try corporate.  

I HAVE considered tutoring.  My hold up with going forward with that is that I still have two school aged children, and a tutoring schedule would make me miss more of their lives than I do now, not less, the best I can tell. 

36 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

I HAVE considered tutoring.  My hold up with going forward with that is that I still have two school aged children, and a tutoring schedule would make me miss more of their lives than I do now, not less, the best I can tell. 

Virtual.  Did you teach English?  Virtual would work.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Virtual.  Did you teach English?  Virtual would work.

Yes, English. I am also state certified to teach math (middle school, specifically) and history.  English is the only thing I'm college-level qualified to teach.  

Do you mean tutoring online?  

10 hours ago, Kidlit said:

Yes, English. I am also state certified to teach math (middle school, specifically) and history.  English is the only thing I'm college-level qualified to teach.  

Do you mean tutoring online?  

Yes, I'd research it  My niece's dh teaches English as well.  He does teach in person but he "also" teaches virtually.  He doesn't tutor virtually.  I'd just research.  You could live in FL and tutor someone in CA.  That's one benefit to the virtual world.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 9:58 PM, KungFuPanda said:

I’ll play. Besides our obvious recent heartbreak and me having no control of my face and how much it leaks, my number came up on chip drop. Ordinarily this would be a good thing, but there are twice as many chips as I imagined possible and I’m not sure how I’ll get them moved before the memorial service in six weeks. I came home from work to a driveway FULL of wood chips. There has to be 100 cubic yards out there. I can’t deal with it. I’m pretending it’s not out there. 

Quoting myself to follow up. I admitted defeat and put myself on the job schedule. The landscaping crew where I work is coming to my house tomorrow to move these wood chips. They may not get them all done in one work day, but they’ll get 1/2 - 2/3 done and that’ll make my driveway usable again. 

• Like 7

My son got call from blood donation bank that he tested positive for HIV , so no longer eligible to donate blood.  On the bright side, his viral load is undetectable, but doc started him on antiviral meds after *two* tests couple weeks apart.  Apparently he is somewhat of a medical anomaly.

• Sad 7