Menu

AP Environmental Science

I know the college board lists chemistry (or another physical science with lab) as a prerequisite for this course but can anyone familiar with it share if that is necessary? 

My dd goes to private school and has this scheduled for her 10th grade science after having honors bio in 9th. She was actually supposed to be in APES concurrent with honors chemistry in 10th but she is ahead a year in foreign language which kind of makes her schedule tricky and it turns out she is now just taking APES and can plan to take Chem in 11th. Punting the chem to 11th takes a lot of pressure off this year which was already going to be a big step up and she is interested in APES. 

I’m actually really happy with this turn of events because she is in a cluster of the top 5 of so kids in her grade and they can become toxic in their competitiveness and this takes her out of being stuck with them all day and they can fight it out for top dog in honors chemistry without her. She gets on a different track with different kids which is great. I just want to make sure she doesn’t actually need chem. I feel like she doesn’t and she can crash course fill in any info she needs but I thought I’d ask the smart people here. One of my kids took this course ten years ago but I don’t remember a thing. 

AP Environmental Science doesn’t require any high school science as prerequisites. Middle school science is more than adequate. College Board did not list any required prerequisites, only recommended ones. 
https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-environmental-science

“Recommended Prerequisites

Two years of high school laboratory science, including life science and physical science, along with at least one year of algebra”

I’m on my third kid going through APES, and no prerequisites are truly necessary. Honestly, APES seems to be the least “sciency” high school science, kinda half social science to be honest. I’m not disparaging it, just to be clear. Environmental Science and Human Geography are requirements to graduate my homeschool because I see them as two of the most important classes for being an informed world citizen these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...