Menu

early readers where parent and child read different parts?

ktgrok

I swear that somewhere there are books where a few words on the page are easy to decode and in a different color or bolded or something, and the child reads those, and the parent reads the rest of the words on the page. But I cannot think of what they are called! My beginner reader would REALLy like these...if I can remember what they are, lol! Anyone here know?

Thank you all! She's not ready for the other ones, but she is loving the Progressive Phonics books! She has what I think are some working memory issues, they run in the family, so needs all the extra practice she can get and these are perfect!

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2023 at 8:35 PM, Janeway said:

TGTB has them for 2nd grade level. We are reading one right now, downloaded for free on to the ipad. We are really liking it.

ooh! I know I loved their early readers they used to have (they changed them and I haven't seen the new ones), but those must be new too. I'll check, so we have a variety! She's made a LOT of progress with Progressive Phonics readers! She just needed that added repetition of reading a few words over and over and over. And it is hard to do that in other ways and make it fun. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2023 at 10:03 PM, mathmarm said:

I think the We Both Read series is what you are talking about.

Our Library has them.

+1 to this series. I've used them for team reading with my kids, and the ones I've found have been excellent. Though it was set up as one page parent, one page child, and not mixed together.

Another one-page child, one-page parent is the Ladybird "Puddle Lane" series, but the child pages are not really decodable and they more-or-less recap the parent's page.

"Ant And Bee" series does child words sprinkled throughout the text, in color. Non-decodable child words, though. The stories are very enjoyable, but it isn't a good early reader, at least not in the manner in which it is intended.