Menu

Online College in the High School

2squared

DS’s guidance counselor is recommending Online College in the High School for PSEO classes. My older kids took classes through our local community college, so I am not familiar with this new option. I’m wondering if Online College in the High School is truly a good option or if it’s just the cheaper option for the school. Any thoughts?

if it matters, DS is a rising junior in a MN public high school  

https://distanceminnesota.org/app/custom/ochs/index

It looks like these are a number of CTE (Career-Technical Ed.) courses (which leads to a certificate or possible Associate degree), and some courses that transfer as credit towards a degree program at Moore Norman Technical College. It is hard to discern from the website if courses taken through this option would transfer to 4-year universities towards a degree program.

This could possibly be a useful option, if your DS is heading towards a CTE (or vocational-technical) career area. However, I do have to say that from what I have seen, most high school students do much better with in-person/on-campus college level courses, rather than with online classes.

I would definitely do a lot more research about this option to find out *exactly* what these courses lead to (a certificate? an AAS -- the Associate degree-to-work?). I'd also want to know if the credits transfer to 4-year universities, and if they are accepted towards a degree program. I'd also want to know about the quality of the courses themselves, and more about the instructors.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

It looks like these are a number of CTE (Career-Technical Ed.) courses (which leads to a certificate or possible Associate degree), and some courses that transfer as credit towards a degree program at Moore Norman Technical College. It is hard to discern from the website if courses taken through this option would transfer to 4-year universities towards a degree program.

This could possibly to a useful option, if your DS is heading towards -- a CTE (or vocational-technical) career area. However, I do have to say that from what I have seen, most high school students do much better with in-person/on-campus college level courses, rather than with online classes.

I would definitely do a lot more research about this option to find out *exactly* what these courses lead to (a certificate? an AAS (the Associate degree-to-work)? I'd also want to know if the credits transfer to 4-year universities, and if they are accepted towards a degree program. I'd also want to know about the quality of the courses themselves, and more about the instructors.

Our viable PSEO options are all online classes. In-person PSEO isn’t viable due to my kid’s B&M high school schedule. The online classes are less than ideal, but some college credit is better than no college credit. 

The paperwork separates the classes from technical credit and four year degree credit, but I will check the credit transfer situation. 

I’m inclined to stick with our online community college classes for next year because that’s what my older kids did and I know how that works.

https://www.minnstate.edu

the above website lists online college classes available in mn. They have info on pseo as well. All classes are through colleges/universities in mn, some are all online, some part in person , and some all in person. Some of the schools are U of M all locations , St. Cloud state ec.

if your student is going to pursue a BA/BS and know what college they are going to contact the admission rep and they should be able to direct you to the info. Certain classes may be acceptable, I think they have to be pre approved, they may only accept so many transfer credits, and the credit amount may not be equal. This option may work for some of the general ed classes but may not for classes in their declared major or minor. Talking to the school should clarify this for you. It also may differ if your student will be attending in state or out of state college and if going to private college.

So both my kids took advantage of 2 years of PSEO in Minnesota as homeschool students.  Both online, community college,and at a 4 year university (we are in the metro).   In person should be an option for you.  BUT it can be harder to schedule for a student who also wants to feel like a high school student and split his days.  So I wonder if specifically this is why the counselor suggested this.  My other thought is the high school MAY get more funding per student using this option vs. moving to half or full time direct PSEO so it may be their first line they offer.

I will also say, my kids did do some online DE  classes. But they were offered directly through the colleges themselves, often taught by the same teachers with the same syllabus as their in person classes.  Online options often required more self motivation and discipline to do well.  None of the options we dual enrolled at suggested online for a first semester PSEO/DE student but it was still an option.  My kids did a lot of time consuming extra curriculars so it was a nice option and they did do well in those classes generally.  

I would consider you and your kid's educational goals.  Does your son want to take full advantage of being a high school student?  Do substantial extra curriculars at school?  Have a great social circle there?  Is your son itching to move on to college courses and have specific goals in mind?  If enrolling directly to CC online classes has worked well for your other kids and your school doesn't have vibrant AP options, I wouldn't hesitate to do it that way if that works better for his schedule.  BUT if these options are offered directly by your local CCs and have options that look good, it may be a good way to go.  There are some general eds in the mix it looks like.  Are these your closest CC options?  I would check rate my professor on the instructors, that can make a big difference.  

Edited by catz