Menu

Nova Scotia in September

If you are looking for these things, I would consider Annapolis Royal and Kejimkujik National Park.  Halifax is great but it’s a small city so not much wildlife. There are some good hikes in the Halifax area, though, and the Public Gardens are nice. 

Another good possibility for September is the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.  There are lots of good trails there too. 

Edited by Eilonwy
  • Like 1

Seconding Cape Breton. September is gorgeous up there--it's rugged country with a beautiful loop road around the cape. Give yourself at least a few days. We've seen moose, lynx and whales, and the scenery is stunning. Inverness makes a nice stop; keep your eye out for live music ( cèilidhs) and don't miss out. They are often small, local events held in a church or grange where most people know each other. Loads of fun and immense talent. Cape Breton is a bit like mini Scottish highlands, and full of interesting communities to discover. It's one of my favorite places on earth ❤️

Also Halifax is super fun and worth at least several days IMO. I haven't been in years though, so can't recommend anywhere specific. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

Yes and I notice that Kejimkujik National Parkand Cape Breton HIghlands National Park are 7hrs apart.  Seems like I need to split my time between them with a first or final day in Hallifax.

It's 4- 5 hours between Halifax and Cape Breton. You're better off picking one of the two parks plus a couple days in the city instead of trying to do all three and missing a lot. There's more driving than you might imagine (not all of it exciting). 

• Like 1

Agreed that picking one park/region might make more sense to avoid a lot of driving. Annapolis Royal and Wolfville have the best gardens in the province, I think, but Cape Breton has more wildlife (as well as lots of local music, etc.) and more dramatic scenery. 

• Like 2