Menu

Free Standing Porch Swing With Canopy and Wind

SHP

I am looking at getting a free standing porch swing with canopy but all I see is the wind picking it up and throwing it into the neighbors yard. I haven't found one that I can easily remove the canopy and none look like they will not become projectiles during a storm.

Does anyone have experience with these in high wind areas?

We had one, and yes, you would need to take the canopy off during wind. Ours was a kind where you could screw the canopy on & off (remove the big giant screws that held it on; they were there so you could adjust the angle of the canopy, also). Or, move it so that it's against the wall of your house - we often had to do both, because even with the canopy removed, the wind would sometimes knock over the swing entirely. Not projectile level, like a trampoline, but...

It did take two people to get the canopy on/off (well, hmm, you could likely get it off with one person, but back on would be harder). We usually, after the first couple of surprise windy days, ended up either carrying the whole thing over to a spot against the house where it was shielded from the wind, or taking the canopy off and taking the swing itself down off the frame and moving that over by the house. It was just part of our "oh, it's supposed to be windy..." prep -- move the patio chairs up against the house, take down the canopy, bring the swing over. 

I think eventually we quit putting the canopy back up.....there wasn't an easy way to store it between on/off periods.  Easier might be porch swing, and then stand-alone adjustable umbrella -- you'd still have to take the umbrella up/down, but they are made to be much more maneuverable and such. 

You could try staking it into the ground.  

We tried this with a trampoline and unfortunately if it is raining and windy, the ground can get wet enough that the stakes can pull out.  That happened to us with a trampoline but we ran out before all the stakes came out.

But I don’t think that would happen in a different yard, we had a kind of dirt there that became slick when it was wet.  

I would wonder about lying it down so the wind didn’t catch the canopy, also.    

I would wonder about leaving the canopy off by default during windy months.  

I have one and we do take the canopy off and even tip the swing forward so it's basically lying down. I live in a very flat area of the country and we get lots of wind.  I've never staked it because we put it up in the winter and move it around.  But even with staking it I would still remove the canopy in high winds, the canopy on mine isn't too difficult to remove.  Like @TheReader, ours unscrews at each end. We also leave off the canopy when the trees finally have leaves.  Leaving off the canopy means more bird poop on the bench part, but I also store the cushion when not in use.

• Like 1

Thanks! It will not be on a wood porch and there will not be an option to lay it down or move it for a wind storm and stakes wouldn't help. Leaving the canopy off during windy months defeats the purpose, the windy months are the time to be outside.

I had debated getting a porch swing and then a seperate umbrella and stand and I am now leaning towards doing that instead. 

Thanks