Menu

2023 summer plans for high schoolers?

Starting later than usual this year ... because so much depends on my kids' summer jobs, which are currently uncertain.

And yet, without much planning, our summer is looking pretty packed already.

• Kids' jobs - hopefully both will have paid (part-time) gigs, but at present 1 has a paid gig and 1 has a 24 hours/week volunteer gig.
  • SAT prep and August SAT test.  Should work in some daily math.  Need to decide about taking ACT.
  • Summer homework for AP English.
  • Spanish class / practice (kids have asked for a native Spanish speaker to teach them).
  • June one-week culture camp.
  • July two-week cruise.  Venice, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece.
  • August band camp and soccer practice.
  • College application stuff.
  • Horse riding / volunteering for Kid2.  (Kid1 might need to add some activity if she doesn't end up with a paying job.)
  • Health stuff - probably about 3 visits per month?
  • With mom - study skills, TKD, real-life physics, next level domestic skills and behaviors.
  • I'm sure there will be various friend get-togethers etc.

What does your 2023 summer look like?

• Like 1

I will have a rising 9th grader and a rising 11th grader this summer.  Wow...seems hard to believe.  

• Both boys will be doing pre-season training for mountain bike season, then starting practice later in the summer
  • Both boys will attend a 4 day church camp/event
  • DS16 is looking for a job.  He doesn't want to go back to the job he had last summer (it was boring and lower paying than most all other jobs around here), and has applied but not gotten any interviews yet
  • DS16 will most likely go to a math camp at a nearby university, while DS14 will do his last year of a local nature-oriented camp.
  • Maybe a short family vacation, but it will probably just be a long weekend at this point.
  • I'd like DS14 to do some kind of volunteer work this summer, but we are still looking into opportunities for this
  • DS16 is doing PSAT/ACT prep over the summer.  I think DS14 will have as a more "academic" goal working on some kind of programming class or tutorial over the summer.  
  • In general, DS14 probably needs more things to "do" for more variety in his summer, especially if we don't find a good fit volunteer wise. Still thinking this through.

• Like 1

We are moving at the end of July. School goes until the end of June. So we will go to a family reunion in NH, dd will do a camp in upstate NY for a week and then one on the coast of NJ. Then we move. Then hopefully we explore our new state and she tries out and makes the JV soccer team so has practice. 

Graduating senior ds needs to get a job. Soon. 

• Like 1

Dd17 is graduating. Her summer is a trip to Europe, working at camp in NC, college orientation, and hanging out at home with us and with friends, and working to make some money.

Ds15 will get his learner’s permit, get a job, go to camp for a week, go to the beach with our youth group for a week, and have 5 weeks of football practice.

Edited by ScoutTN

DS16 summer keeps getting busier. He has three weeks of music camp, then may go to a SAME engineering camp for a few days (have not yet finalized), then an aerospace camp near home for a week (connected to a dual enrollment class he took) and then two weeks of Order of the Arrow Trail Trek at Philmont (so working on building/restoring stuff and then trekking). My aim was for him do have a solid chunk of music time and to spend a couple of weeks at least outdoors. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Because I am procrastinating on my work, I am going to debrief how our summer went:

• Kids' jobs - hopefully both will have paid (part-time) gigs, but at present 1 has a paid gig and 1 has a 24 hours/week volunteer gig.
    • They both had part-time paid jobs at an ice-cream store.
  • SAT prep and August SAT test.  Should work in some daily math.  Need to decide about taking ACT.
    • They didn't prep like they promised.  They took the test.  I should have made them take it in June when math was fresher.  Oh well.
  • Summer homework for AP English.
    • They handed it in.  I don't know what the teacher thought of it yet.  They half-assed it.
  • Spanish class / practice (kids have asked for a native Spanish speaker to teach them).
    • They had about 8 classes, then the teacher got sick.  We hope to resume after football/soccer season.
  • June one-week culture camp.
    • Done.
  • July two-week cruise.  Venice, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece.
    • Done.
  • August band camp and soccer practice.
    • Done, but only one kid decided to stick with soccer.
  • College application stuff.
    • Done; acceptances to the local state university have come through.  It's up to them if they want to apply anywhere else.
  • Horse riding / volunteering for Kid2.  (Kid1 might need to add some activity if she doesn't end up with a paying job.)
    • They both did some riding and volunteering, but Kid2 has decided to quit the barn they've gone to for 10 years.  Looking for a new barn.
  • Health stuff - probably about 3 visits per month?
    • Done.
  • With mom - study skills, TKD, real-life physics, next level domestic skills and behaviors.
    • Generally not done, other than some domestic skills.
  • I'm sure there will be various friend get-togethers etc.
    • So much with friends!  With both girls driving and working, they spent a lot of time driving and treating their friends all over the place.  I hope this means good memories for them.
    • We threw rooftop July 4 and Labor Day parties where we met friends/family.
  • Added:  Updated our CPR training; road trip to Washington, D.C.; and probably some things I'm not remembering.

All in all, I felt like it was a full summer with a decent balance of rest and productive activity.  Of course we didn't do everything I would have liked, but I saw that coming.

Regrets - I wish I'd pushed harder on the summer academics.  But I'm not sure it would have helped.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1