Menu

Anyone drive a Smart car in a snowy climate?

wintermom

My mom and dad have one.  It's fine on the road in winter with snow tires.   It can handle 99.9% of winter conditions in southern Ontario.  

DH and I test drove on on a winter snow course at the Toronto auto show years ago when they first came out.  It was surprisingly good in snow.

I would not drive it in deep snow.  But I wouldn't do that with my subaru wagon either.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Katy said:

I would not compare Ontario's well maintained winter roads to the conditions in most of the Northern states.

I don't think I am?  I'm pretty sure that @wintermom is in Canada (and lives in the same province that I do), so I don't think that Northern states roads are relevant?  I've lived in her city and done quite a lot of winter driving there, and DH grew up there, his family are still there - I am very familiar with the likely road conditions.   (Maybe she's moved?)

Maybe your comment wasn't directed at my post?

• Like 1

It's fine slush, and in snow with some accumulation (a few inches), and on ice.   I would not try to take it through a drift.  Not good for deep snow, because of lower clearance.

It's rear-wheel drive.  But it's also rear-engine, so the weight is where you need it.

Like all cars, good snow tires matter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wathe said:

I don't think I am?  I'm pretty sure that @wintermom is in Canada (and lives in the same province that I do), so I don't think that Northern states roads are relevant?  I've lived in her city and done quite a lot of winter driving there, and DH grew up there, his family are still there - I am very familiar with the likely road conditions.   (Maybe she's moved?)

My apologies, I didn’t realize she was in Canada.  Canadian roads are remarkably better than those in the US. Wisconsin may be close, they handle snow and ice very well, but build roads to be redone frequently rather than last a long time. 

18 hours ago, Spy Car said:

....but it would be relatively light to push if needed.

You owe me a new keyboard.

Perhaps a Subaru?

Bill

I'm comparing a Smart car to my Toyota mini-van. Thank goodness I haven't had to push the van much. I've had to do a lot of pushing of mid-size sedans, though. 

4 hours ago, wathe said:

I drive mostly in eastern Ontario and Quebec. Loads of snow accumulation that can also be too quick for the plows to manage, as well as frequent freezing rain. 

17 hours ago, Katy said:

I would not compare Ontario's well maintained winter roads to the conditions in most of the Northern states.

Ontario's a huge province, so you might be surprised at the difference in road maintenance budgets across the province. Orgs with big bucks, such as the National Capital Commision, clean roads in the winter to a level that I appreciate driving but don't even want to think about the cost (which I'm contributing to as a taxpayer). 🤪

Edited by wintermom

1 hour ago, Katy said:

My apologies, I didn’t realize she was in Canada.  Canadian roads are remarkably better than those in the US. Wisconsin may be close, they handle snow and ice very well, but build roads to be redone frequently rather than last a long time. 

No worries!  It's a majority American board; it was a reasonable assumption

If our roads are good, then I would hate to see what bad roads look like!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I drive mostly in eastern Ontario and Quebec. Loads of snow accumulation that can also be too quick for the plows to manage, as well as frequent freezing rain. 

Ontario's a huge province, so you might be surprised at the difference in road maintenance budgets across the province. Orgs with big bucks, such as the National Capital Commision, clean roads in the winter to a level that I appreciate driving but don't even want to think about the cost (which I'm contributing to as a taxpayer). 🤪

Yes, Ottawa has famously excellently plowed roads.  And Quebec, infamously, does not...

Big difference between urban and rural too.  I often have to navigate drifts on my rural road.  That would never happen in the city.

Smart car would be fine in Ottawa, I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I'm comparing a Smart car to my Toyota mini-van. Thank goodness I haven't had to push the van much. I've had to do a lot of pushing of mid-size sedans, though. 

I have a MINI Cooper. The Smart Car makes me feel like I'm in an SUV.

Bill

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wathe said:

Yes, Ottawa has famously excellently plowed roads.  And Quebec, infamously, does not...

Big difference between urban and rural too.  I often have to navigate drifts on my rural road.  That would never happen in the city.

Smart car would be fine in Ottawa, I think.

Not all Ottawa roads are plowed equally, that's for sure!! My little suburban road is the last on the city's list to be plowed, and the plow typically only plows a portion of the bend I live on. The length of driveway *I* shovel almost doubles over the course of the winter. 🤪

50 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I think the Smart car is too small anyhow, because I can't bring my dh and the two dogs along for rides. I need that SUV Mini Cooper!! 😉 

My wife recently got a Subaru Crosstrek. I like that vehicle very much.

Bill

• Like 1