Menu

Decoupage?

I'm making my ds a civil War box for Christmas. I've collected various Civil War relics and reenactments items over the past year. These include a non-firing pistol, canteen, clothing, hat, framed bullets, and various other items.

Anyhow, I purchased a bunch of civil war scrap booking pieces: die cut-outs, currency, stamps, papers.... I was thinking of cutting these out and decoupaging them onto the box.

How would one do that? Do I just glue them down and paint varnish over it? Will the papers run or get ruined if I varnish over them? I won't be able to get more in time if I screw it up.

Any help is appreciated! I don't have the craft gene. Btw-It's a plain rectangular, non-stained wood box.

TIA!

That would work just fine as you described. There is also a product called Mod Podge available in craft stores that works nicely, but if you can't get to the store right now I'd go for the glue and varnish. I have done it both ways and it works. :001_smile:

Have fun with your project. It sounds like a great one!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm making my ds a civil War box for Christmas. I've collected various Civil War relics and reenactments items over the past year. These include a non-firing pistol, canteen, clothing, hat, framed bullets, and various other items.

Anyhow, I purchased a bunch of civil war scrap booking pieces: die cut-outs, currency, stamps, papers.... I was thinking of cutting these out and decoupaging them onto the box.

How would one do that? Do I just glue them down and paint varnish over it? Will the papers run or get ruined if I varnish over them? I won't be able to get more in time if I screw it up.

Any help is appreciated! I don't have the craft gene. Btw-It's a plain rectangular, non-stained wood box.

TIA!

I'd go the Mod Podge route. It's really simple to do. You can get it at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or Jo-Ann.

TIA!

What a great idea...I have one little 6 year old who would love to be your son on Christmas morning...he LOVES the Civil War!! Please post a picture when you're done...I love this:) idea!!

Blessings,

kathi

You could just go ahead and use Mod Podge. True decoupage requires multiple coats of varnish--at least 6, such that you cannot feel the edges of the paper/pictures/whatnots. You probably don't have enough time for that.

Mod Podge will be fine.

You could use felt to line the inside of the box. That would give a very nice finished look, and it's easy to do.

I've even used watered down Elmer's glue and painted over stuff with that. It works out fine.

I'm very picky about the quality of my art projects, and I have successfully used watered down Elmer's followed by coats of matte or satin finish varnish. This method also works beautifully. If you have it on hand, save yourself some money and a trip to the craft store.

But otherwise, Mod Podge is a great product. I am an art teacher and also worked for a few years in a craft store where we used it, recommended and sold a lot of it.

OP - be sure to use a good brush, whatever product you choose too. A light sanding with fine sandpaper between coats will help as well, especially if the grain of the wood rises after the first couple of coats.

I hope you post a picture for us to see! :001_smile:

Blessings,

Lucinda