Menu

Keeping Teens off Youtube

workingmom

What's working to keep tweens/teens off/limited use of  Youtube. We have MacBooks and even Screentime is allowing the website,although it's specifically blocked. The past two weeks there has been a shift in DD being on it instead of doing HW and I'm frustrated that the blockers aren't working. I've decided to move her desk up next to mine and perhaps monitor her ADHD and see if we need tweaking. Maybe this is just a normal 13 yo testing their boundaries but I'm not happy with the the attitude and no remorse for getting caught. 

Edited by workingmom

We don't block youtube entirely.  But we do limit the things that the kids can watch on there and how much they use it.  The only way we do this is by having all electronics being in common areas.  We also don't hesitate to have breaks entirely from electronics if things are becoming an issue.  

• Like 2

It shouldn’t be allowed if you have it blocked. Have you tried updating your software? Restarting the device? 

My kids can only use YouTube on the TV or through links I send them. Access on the TV limits most mindless surfing since it’s kind of cumbersome and in the center of the house.

But yes, that sounds like pretty normal testing of limits.

• Like 4