Menu

Ideas for a "different" kind of education week

This week we are doing our state required testing (which actually takes way less time to complete each day than our normal workload), 4/10 we are on spring break, which leaves next week. I thought I might do some different educational kinds of things. My kids are 11, 9, and 6 (plus 3 and baby). My current ideas: clean a room each day (education on properly cleaning things), teach ds11 an intro to sewing, read a math book (we have Math in Camelot), teach ds6 how to tie a shoe, go to a museum. Any other ideas? The kids will be so excited!

• Like 3

lol -- testing week we would go for each of the 3 mornings, test, and stop for ice cream on the way home and celebrate having given an honest effort on the tests. 😉 

If we did anything else, it was a fun read-aloud and games, or a cool field trip.

I like the baking idea. Maybe they make cookies and have tea+cookies and poetry.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

The weather is improving, so you could make a list of 4 different parks to visit and go to one each day. The cooking idea sounds great. You're coming up on Easter, so it would be natural to have a list of 3-4 recipes to try, all bunny themed. (something breakfast, something bread, something cookie, etc.) The sewing is great. You want machine, hence only the 11 yo? If you did hand, they all could do it. There's a cute Klutz book I did with my ds that had some projects. But if you want machine, it would depend on the 9 yo I guess. Put it on turtle speed.

When I tried to do fun stuff like that, I'd look for educational worksheets to flesh it out so things didn't fall into too much entropy. So like if your theme is easter and you're doing easter cooking and easter sewing, then make packets of cute worksheets for independent work that are their math/handwriting/spelling for the week all easter themed. Like just googling educational worksheets for easter, I'm seeing dot to dots, prewriting, all sorts of things. Word searches are fun for some kids. Just 2-3 pages a day, maybe for 4 days. And you can print and staple them with construction paper to make packets. I did that for Groundhog Day one year, haha. If you want them to write, you can cut construction paper in the shape of bunnies or eggs or whatever and then staple paper in to make little journals. They could do spring drawing where they go outside and "capture signs of spring". I did that with my ds one year. I think we did it with a camera, but you could do it with drawing too, sure. You could do some picture/art study to fit the theme.

I hope you have loads of fun! It's nice to try something different when it's just one week. 🙂

• Like 1

My go to’s: Board games, grocery store math, deep clean vehicle, play in the forest, book scavenger hunt at the library, or try a new park. 

If you celebrate Easter you could do egg hunts, Easter baking, make a resurrection scene (like a nativity). 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 6:58 PM, LauraClark said:

This week we are doing our state required testing (which actually takes way less time to complete each day than our normal workload), 4/10 we are on spring break, which leaves next week. I thought I might do some different educational kinds of things. My kids are 11, 9, and 6 (plus 3 and baby). My current ideas: clean a room each day (education on properly cleaning things), teach ds11 an intro to sewing, read a math book (we have Math in Camelot), teach ds6 how to tie a shoe, go to a museum. Any other ideas? The kids will be so excited!

BTW, if we are talking about "different" kinds of education, I just wonder what you guys think about Edubirdie and similar services? If it is something new for you, you can read here https://www.resellerratings.com/store/Edubirdie_com a review to be acquainted. I am asking just because my son uses it from time to time (he has a really busy schedule), so I let him. This service looks like the legal one, but I would like to find out your thought about it in general. Thank you in advance, and wish you luck with your business, parents!

Hello, Laura!
I think it is a great idea to switch methods a little. I believe proper board games will work. Also, you can find numerous educational apps for smartphones or tablet 😍