Menu

DNA books for read aloud?

My 6th grader is doing a DNA camp this summer—we normally have a non fiction in our read aloud circulation so I would like to add a DNA one. Something readable that’s not a massive lift (bc we read at night at end of day—she goes to school). I do have the kiddie version of The Origin of Species, this DNA book would follow that one.

any ideas? Many thanks. 

Hi,

that’s an amazing resource, thanks for posting. Will look to see if any aren’t above our respective heads. The first camp is a pure intro “fun with dna” type and the second is about enzymes. So the latter, DNA/genetics would be what we are looking for! Thanks again. 

Jay Hosler's The Stuff of Life

It's a graphic novel, which can make for tricky reading, so as Support Material  I'm pasting in Hatchette Book Group's advice for read-aloud graphic novels.  Just to have on the thread; I know you have a lot of reading-aloud experience under your belt 😉 

As a reader, graphic novels and comics give you a great opportunity to stretch your range. If kids are getting antsy when you read aloud to them, especially with chapter books, graphic novels help kids stay more engaged, as they’ll need to see each pane to grasp the story fully. Because the illustrations are so important, it may be helpful in a large-group setting to have a screen and an electronic edition where you can zoom and scroll.

Read the book ahead of time to get an idea of the characters and how much of the action happens without dialogue.

For graphic novels that are heavy on dialogue, it’s time to pull out your voices or try splitting dialogue duties by dividing up characters.

If there are long stretches of action without dialogue, you can still add sound effects and read signs or words in the background. But to keep the action scenes moving, you can use a finger to guide children from pane to pane, go more quickly when action is fast but slow down when there’s a lot of detail to take in. Don’t be afraid to narrate even if there are no words. Even better, ask children to describe a panel or page. Stop and ask questions like, “What’s happening here?” or “What do you think she’s doing?”

On 3/14/2023 at 3:53 PM, serendipitous journey said:

Jay Hosler's The Stuff of Life

It's a graphic novel, which can make for tricky reading, so as Support Material  I'm pasting in Hatchette Book Group's advice for read-aloud graphic novels.  Just to have on the thread; I know you have a lot of reading-aloud experience under your belt 😉 

As a reader, graphic novels and comics give you a great opportunity to stretch your range. If kids are getting antsy when you read aloud to them, especially with chapter books, graphic novels help kids stay more engaged, as they’ll need to see each pane to grasp the story fully. Because the illustrations are so important, it may be helpful in a large-group setting to have a screen and an electronic edition where you can zoom and scroll.

Read the book ahead of time to get an idea of the characters and how much of the action happens without dialogue.

For graphic novels that are heavy on dialogue, it’s time to pull out your voices or try splitting dialogue duties by dividing up characters.

If there are long stretches of action without dialogue, you can still add sound effects and read signs or words in the background. But to keep the action scenes moving, you can use a finger to guide children from pane to pane, go more quickly when action is fast but slow down when there’s a lot of detail to take in. Don’t be afraid to narrate even if there are no words. Even better, ask children to describe a panel or page. Stop and ask questions like, “What’s happening here?” or “What do you think she’s doing?”

This is what we use. The kids really like it.

• Like 1

The first chapter (or more) of "the 8th day of creation", by Judson, might be good to read aloud for a 6th grader. It might be a little grown-up (I don't mean R-rated), it's adapted from some old New Yorker articles. But it gives a lot of interesting context to the "molecular revolution" and it's not too technical.

• Like 1