Menu

Cronometer and other food tracking apps

marbel

I've finally resigned myself to the reality that I need to track my food consumption. I have done it off and on for years - including back in the day before apps when we *wrote down* what we ate and added up the calories. But it never stuck.

Recently I was told I needed to reduce sodium and oxalates, and increase dietary calcium. So, I started using Cronometer as I'd heard/read it was very accurate. I use the free version and it's going well.  It has opened my eyes to how much or how little of various nutrients I was eating, and I've started (very) slowly losing some weight. 

So anyway. I'm curious about a couple things:

1. Is the paid Cronometer substantially better than the free version? I mean, $50 for the  year isn't that much, but I do try to limit unnecessary spending. (On the other hand, if I use something I like to support the people who make it work.) Some of you probably are thinking, geez, just drop the $50, but we are coming out of a time of deep austerity so, yeah, it's hard for me to part with a buck. 

2. Are there better apps out there? So far I like the ease of adding foods, and exercise. I have no care for the social media aspect some apps have (myfitnesspal?). I don't want anything cute and don't need rewards.  So, a better app would mean: more accurate, and easier to add custom recipes - though Cronometer is not hard, it is time-consuming and I do make a lot of food from scratch. 

Just any thoughts welcome! 

I pay for the upgraded Cronometer. Compared to what I spend on healthcare and supplements, it's a drop in the bucket. I'm pretty sure they have a free trial though. Do they?? I think they did when I subscribed.

It is hands down the best app out there for this. 

If you tap and get the daily report, does it show you all the ratios? The "nutrient balance"? You have to scroll all the way down. It's the last thing. I'm just curious if that is part of the upgrade or if that's in the free version.

I also frequently use the feature that allows me to create custom recipes. I think that's part of the gold subscription. It makes it so much more accurate to track when I'm cooking casseroles or homemade bread, etc.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

Thanks! There is no free trial, at this time, anyway. 

Ratios... at the top of the daily report I can see my macronutrient distribution/percentage.  I am not sure if that's what you mean? 

But yeah, importing recipes via the URL, instead of having to manually add the ingredients would be really helpful. So if I am going to keep doing this long-term, I would want that.

There are a lot of recipes in there but if I select, say "chicken tikka masala" I have no idea how the recipes in the database compare with the recipe I'm making from Food and Wine magazine. So yeah, I think that would make the decision for me if I'm going to continue with Cronometer. 

Thanks for your comments! Helpful!

I have the "gold" membership and I think its worth it. I've had it for a couple of years and don't really remember the differences between this version and the basic one, but I remember thinking at the time that the upgrade was well worth it. I think the paid version let you have more categories in the diary, and you can customize them. Also I use the custom recipe function ALL the time. I often make large batches of things like soup, curry, dal, chili, coconut lime rice, tofu scramble, etc. and then divide it into multiple portions to store in the fridge or freezer. It's so much easier to just add all the ingredients into a custom recipe, list the number of servings, and then when I add it to the diary, I just have to add "lentil soup, 1 serving" instead of trying to calculate exactly how much potato/carrot/tomato/spinach/olive oil/etc. is in one serving and enter all that individually 4-5 times — especially if I'm pulling it out of the freezer and really don't remember how many carrots and potatoes went into it. And when I make a recipe again, if I change something (sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, kale instead of spinach, etc.) I can just adjust the existing recipe instead of starting from scratch. Also, I frequently make a green protein smoothie that has like 10 different ingredients, and it's easier to just add "Protein Smoothie" to the diary instead of typing in all those ingredients day after day.

I also think the Gold version has more detail about micronutrients and the balance of things like calcium to oxalates, potassium to sodium, etc. I'll see if I can upload some screenshots.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I also think the Gold version has more detail about micronutrients and the balance of things like calcium to oxalates, potassium to sodium, etc. I'll see if I can upload some screenshots.

This is what I was referring to above. I don't think the free version offers this, but I also can't remember for sure. @marbel I tap on the top where it breaks down macros by percentage. It brings up a window where I can tap "daily report". There is a wealth of info there. That's where you scroll down to see the ratios Corraleno is talking about. If you aren't able to do that, definitely do the upgrade.

• Like 1

I also have the gold membership and think it is well worth it.  I am gaining insights regarding my nutrient needs that I was completely unaware of.  I like that I can detail the nutrient levels to my specific desired requirements.  My goal is to increase bone density and there are macro and micro nutrients that work synergistically with each other at specific amounts for optimal results.  I like that it includes most all of them except Boron.  I would much rather obtain my nutrition from food than a supplement.

• Like 1