Menu

Research Papers without Notecards?

There must be plenty of computer apps/software/website apps that will help organize notes during research when writing a paper--but it seems like every curriculum I look at insists on using physical notecards and handwriting the notes. Does anyone know of a resource (curriculum, book, or even just a webpage) that will give students help for a digital alternative to notecards? Something better than just dumping it all in one big word document?

• Like 1

I've actually had a really hard time finding what you are describing.

I want a program or app that is pretty much a digital manifestation of physical note cards that can be dragged around. Preferably with ways to tag them with sources and/or color code them.

If anyone knows of anything like that I would be very interested.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wendyroo said:

I want a program or app that is pretty much a digital manifestation of physical note cards that can be dragged around. Preferably with ways to tag them with sources and/or color code them.

I'm only starting to figure out what software might be best for this, but I came across this one that might meet your needs:
https://www.noodletools.com/overview/notes/

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wendyroo said:

You might be interested in a Zettelkasten system. I suggest using Obsidian, as it's free an has a very active community of users and  add-on developers. There are more resources on using a Zettelkasten system in Obsidian than you can shake a stick at.

Another tool is Logseq, which integrates spaced repetition using an algorithm that's better than Anki's.

Edited by Malam
  • Like 1