Menu

tablecloth quandary--also steamer recommendations appreciated!

popmom

I purchased an antique Irish damask tablecloth for our dinner after dd's wedding. It measures approximately 140 inches by 84 inches. I plan to use it with one 8 ft long by 30 inch wide banquet table. I want to have two 8 foot long tables put right against each other to make one long 16 foot table. There will be 14 guests total, so this should be just right. My quandary is that I can't seem to find another Irish Damask tablecloth that big. Ideally 90 inches wide. I can fudge a little on the length because the two tables will be right up against each other. 

I can find 72 x 90 inch tablecloths all day. Would it be possible to somehow use 2 of that size on one table? Could I sew them together? There will be several floral centerpieces and candles, and the table will be set with china, etc. 

Any other suggestions? I could always punt and just buy cheap polyester tablecloths, but I adore this old damask. What would y'all do?

I do have one more beautiful vintage one that I found that will be perfect for the dessert table, so that one won't go to waste. 

Maybe I should use this huge damask cloth on the dinner buffet set up and go with something different for the dinner tables. 

just edited title. I will be needing a good steamer--not just for the tablecloths but for our dresses, some of the faux flowers I'm using for the arbor, etc.

Edited by popmom

I actually just found this one on eBay. I might get it and play around with it to see how it would work. The pattern is very similar to what I already have.

@HomeAgain That is a great idea! Thank you! See...I just can't picture these things in my own head, but I really think that would work. I will ask the bride what she thinks about this idea. 🙂

Edited by popmom

• popmom changed the title to tablecloth quandary--also steamer recommendations appreciated!
23 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I would get two other tablecloths that are more plain, and use the Irish one as the third, overlapping the other two in the center.

This is exactly what I was going to say! I've done this before, for similar reasons. It looked really nice. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

This is exactly what I was going to say! I've done this before, for similar reasons. It looked really nice. 

I'm liking this idea more and more because it would also cover the point where the tables meet. 

I would suggest using just the one in the middle as well. I wouldn’t go with an expensive cloth in the buffet table. It will likely get stained! People can be so messy when they serve themselves!!

Having a layered style on tables looks very nice! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I would get two other tablecloths that are more plain, and use the Irish one as the third, overlapping the other two in the center.

My sister did this at her daughters  wedding . She had one pink

and 2 whites. She layered the pink on top but turned it slightly so you saw a point when looking at the table, it was beautiful. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tap said:

I would suggest using just the one in the middle as well. I wouldn’t go with an expensive cloth in the buffet table. It will likely get stained! People can be so messy when they serve themselves!!

Having a layered style on tables looks very nice! 

Thank you! I'm feeling encouraged. 🙂

And I don't know...I think I'm in the camp that fine things are meant to be used. They are both definitely vintage and already have some minor imperfections. 

39 minutes ago, KatieJ said:

My sister did this at her daughters  wedding . She had one pink

and 2 whites. She layered the pink on top but turned it slightly so you saw a point when looking at the table, it was beautiful. 

Do you have a pic? 🥰