Menu

Prep for AP Calc AB

Does Derek Owens give them practice problems in AP Classroom? I'm having my son do problems there and on Khan academy for prep now. He'll do a practice exam or two in April.

There are past free response questions here:
https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-calculus-ab/exam/past-exam-questions
Official 2012 practice exam:
https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/media/pdf/ap-calculus-ab-practice-exam-2012.pdf

You can find other practice exams in books or online--but I haven't looked much for those. 

• Thanks 1

We haven't done that specific AP, but my kid has found the videos on the college board website to be good review.  I buy a prep book - usually from the 5 steps to a 5 series - but I think that kid invests a lot more time in the videos.  Kid seems to have settled on the routine of watching the videos early - right now they are often viewed during lunch.  Then, once the videos are done and most of the course content has been covered (maybe in April) kid tries a practice test and goes back and uses the prep book and videos to figure out what was missed.  I'm not sure this is exactly right - Chemistry freshman year wasn't this well planned - but last year's bio and us history had more organized prep and this year kid started with the videos in January.  

18 minutes ago, Malam said:

If i click on one of these links, am I going to end up downloading a prep book on my phone?

We have the Princeton Review one also. I'm telling you, though, that you can bring the prep book to the student, but you can't make the student open it. 😂

All the AP classes we are involved in, though, do incorporate AP review. DO Calc, in particular, version 1 of the test is "AP styled" and the syllabus has an extensive review scheduled for the 4(?) weeks prior to the test. In our experience DO may over estimate the amount of time needed for a test (scheduled for a whole week) but he doesn't overestimate the time needed for review (often also a week).