Menu

Not sure when to transcript this lit class Help?

Every day I read aloud to my kids and when we finish the book/story, we discuss it. Originally I had planned to give both sons one credit for this and transcript it for next year. But the more I think about it, the more I think we have well more than a credit here, and if I transcripted it this year, it might make more sense. Then whatever I cover this summer and next year would be transcripted next year.  They do have other lit on their transcript via House of Humane Letters.  However, it is not as if we really need the credit this year.   And next year my senior will only have whatever lit we cover that year for his English credit. I plan on covering Dante's inferno and I'm not sure what else. Anyway, this is what we have covered so far just at home. Thoughts? It is probably too late to transcript a credit for this for last year, because I had to submit a transcript when we applied for DE. 

ETA: It sounds like it would be best to transcript next year, which was my original plan that I was doubting. Thank you.

The Hound of the Baskervilles, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson

The Murders on the Rue Morgue, Edgar Allan Poe

Pygmalion, George Bernard Shaw

The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexander Dumas

“The Catbird Seat,” James Thurber

“The Monkey’s Paw,” W.W. Jacob

“Moxon’s Master,” Ambrose Pierce

“The Signalman,” Charles Dickens

Short stories by Edgar Allen Poe

Around the World in 80 Days, Jules Verne

Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength, C.S. Lewis

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table, Roger Lancelyn Green

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower, C.S. Forester

“A Man for All Seasons” film, 1966

David Copperfield, Charles Dickens

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee

Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad

Short stories by Flannery O’Connor

Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury

My Antonia, Willa Cather

Much Ado About Nothing, Shakespeare; recording by Arkangel Shakespeare and 1993 film

Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry, Mildred Taylor

Hamlet, Shakespeare; recording, BBC Radio, 1993; film, 2009; Classics Club DVD Hamlet, Center for Lit

“The Overcoat,” Nikolai Gogol

“Gooseberries,” Anton Chekov

“Barn Burning,” William Faulkner

“Bartleby the Scrivener,” Herman Melville

“Why I live at the P.O.” Eudora Welty

“A&P,” John Updike

“The Open Boat,” Stephen Crane

Edited by cintinative

Does this only include oral discussion are are they also writing? If this is the only credit in a given year, I would want it to contain a writing component.
If he has another credit, I would not give two English credits per year unless those were college classes. Otherwise it looks like padding.

• Like 2

So are you saying that you would grant more credit for one or more English/literature classes and change the course descriptions to include the works you listed above?  Would it be a separate class?

I'm not sure what the rest of their literature lists look like, but you might want to mess around with the titles of the courses and the lists within each course so that you have a focus that is reflected in each course's title.  You could do it by time period and/or region, but you could also do it by theme or literary device or style.  So instead of calling it "Literature 3" or whatever, you could have "Coming of Age," or "First-Person Narrative Fiction," or "Short Fiction," or whatever. 

With regard to adding a course to last year's list--I would have no problem doing this unless my child was planning to apply to the DE school as a freshman later on.  Alternatively, you could arrange the transcript by subject.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Does this only include oral discussion are are they also writing? If this is the only credit in a given year, I would want it to contain a writing component.
If he has another credit, I would not give two English credits per year unless those were college classes. Otherwise it looks like padding.

Just oral

Also, I think it is common for homeschoolers to do way more hours of literature study than is typical for a 1 credit class.  Because reading.  For example, our literature lists were quite long each year, but I only gave one credit per year for English.  I'd only give more than that if my child were doing extremely focused work in some area that was well outside of what is typical.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

This would already look like a problem then, because he has two English credits each year--one for lit via House of Humane Letters and one for composition with TPS. This year he had one credit for college composition at the university and will have one for HHL again.

So that means I need to transcript it for his senior year, which is fine, and not transcript the Dante stuff separately.

7 minutes ago, EKS said:

With regard to adding a course to last year's list--I would have no problem doing this unless my child was planning to apply to the DE school as a freshman later on.  Alternatively, you could arrange the transcript by subject.

He will definitely be applying to the DE school.  Also, the transcript is already arranged by subject.

So it sounds like what i need to do is transcript this for next year.

Do I really have to add written output if his other classes have it? I had thought of having him cover famous speeches and do some writing with that next year, but I am not sure at all. He is headed into STEM.

4 hours ago, cintinative said:

This would already look like a problem then, because he has two English credits each year--one for lit via House of Humane Letters and one for composition with TPS. This year he had one credit for college composition at the university and will have one for HHL again.

If he already has two credits from outside providers, I would absolutely not include a home-based literature credit. How many total credits per year is he supposed to have?
Not everything a student does needs to end up on the transcript.

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

If he already has two credits from outside providers, I would absolutely not include a home-based literature credit. How many total credits per year is he supposed to have?
Not everything a student does needs to end up on the transcript.

Where would you list it? 

I agree with not putting it on the transcript, but if you're doing course descriptions for college applications, I'd probably fold the reading list in with the description of the other lit class--like write a course description that encompasses the outside class and the reading at home. 

• Like 2