Menu

Long shot: anyone on here from Newton Falls, Ohio?

Terabith

Okay, so the real story is probably less interesting than your imaginations.  My husband is a sucker.  And also the most good hearted man that has ever walked the earth.  When he got upset about the situation with asylum seekers at the border, he started showing up at every bus that had refugees and taking them food and toys and clothing and menstrual hygiene products.  And then started a nonprofit group, and is currently supporting something like eight families from Afghanistan, one of whom almost wound up living in our house.  So, when this guy in Uganda started messaging him on facebook asking for money for his orphanage, my husband's approach was not to block the assumed spammer, but to research the man, talk to a real life person in a nearby city, discover that the man was legit but....kinda underground?  Not liked by anyone locally because he was always hitting them up for cash.  My dh started a webpage for him, and has sent him money regularly, and correspond with him regularly.  Then Simon, the not a spammer running an informal orphanage, found another sucker in Newton Falls, who started raising money in the US for him, including a Go Fund Me.  

This guy, however, died.  

Simon contacted my husband to try to figure out how to get the money from this guy, or otherwise what to do, and my dh realized that the Go Fund Me goes to the guy who died.  But dh can't fundraise for Simon now, or do anything, because that could be fraud, because this fundraiser is still active, and maybe going to dead guy's bank account.  

We found out he was a member of Knights of Columbus, and the name of his church from his obituary, so we are hoping to contact the priest or someone from the Knights of Columbus so we aren't calling this poor widow and asking about details of her husband's bank account.  

• Like 4