Menu

Middle School 6th Grade Language Arts - Creative Writing Included Where?

Ting Tang

Are there any all-encompassing language arts programs that include creative writing as part of the curriculum in 6th grade?

We have MCT for next year, and I was also looking at Blackbird & Company for a few.  But it seems the focus is more academic and on essay writing.  Maybe I am missing something a program that has everything (vocab, grammar, lit, writing) that also has creative writing?  It doesn't have to be the main thing.  Just a part of it.

Maybe add Creative Writer from WTM? It's not attached to WWS at all. 

Creative writing is generally optional however. I only covered it with kids who were interested. Everyone needs to learn clear and efficient expository writing, even STEM people. Only some professions will ever use creative writing. 

• Like 4

I just give creative writing assignments when I sense there is a need for something different to revive spirits.  Some examples: write a missing scene in a book or create a different ending, write their own fairy tale, write their own, short story, produce a play, etc.  I never used anything for their assignments.  Typically I would just assign something that was easy to connect to something they were already reading/studying.

• Like 2

This article from our FAQ has a little bit of advice re: creating writing in the curriculum.  It is optional as a life skill but necessary to the souls of some children.  Expository writing is important for pretty much everyone anymore.  

I personally have zero ability in creative writing.  Alas.  And I really have tried.  But that is not true for everyone--thank goodness, because I sure like to READ creative writing!

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

Thank you all! I will take a look at Thinking Tree. I do think we might try to do some classical composition. I am just not sure which program.  I do think it is important for children!

We have been alternating styles. We did some Brave Writer, then the TT CW, now IEW Structure and Style. That way we hit a lot of concepts and techniques without burnout or boredom. 

4 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

We have been alternating styles. We did some Brave Writer, then the TT CW, now IEW Structure and Style. That way we hit a lot of concepts and techniques without burnout or boredom. 

I admit, that is one of my problems.  I get bored thinking about using the same program, on and on, lol.  I know it makes more sense for certain subjects, of course!

44 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

I admit, that is one of my problems.  I get bored thinking about using the same program, on and on, lol.  I know it makes more sense for certain subjects, of course!

Right. We don't jump around in math, and we stick with RS for grammar. But we have gleaned from each writing program so far.

I just started writing strands and loving it for 4th and 6th grader.  It has been so easy for me to follow.  The original they say is better, I found mine for less than 5$.  My husband used it with Abeka and is an amazing creative writer.  We began with 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I just started writing strands and loving it for 4th and 6th grader.  It has been so easy for me to follow.  The original they say is better, I found mine for less than 5$.  My husband used it with Abeka and is an amazing creative writer.  We began with 3.

Thanks! I’ll check that out. I’m hoping to find something Classical yet not difficult to use alongside a full ELA curriculum. 

• 3 weeks later...