Menu

Solfege: fixed or moveable do

If you teach solfege, do you use fixed or movable do? 

I learned fixed do, which was then reinforced by living in countries that use do re mi to name notes (rather than letters).

In college I learned moveable do.

I didn't have the time and energy to do much solfege with my older kids, but I taught a bit with moveable do and Curwen hand signs. I'm revisiting music education now with my younger kids and I have really just never settled on a favorite system.

If you have a favorite rhythm counting method feel free to share that as well.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

• maize changed the title to Solfege: fixed or moveable do

I've learned both fixed and moveable and personally prefer movable. To me, the beauty of solfege is being able to sing/hear the whole and half steps between notes and sound out any scale. Fixed feels like just another name for the notes - C/do - whereas moveable feels like a tool to sound out a scale. 

• Like 2

Moveable, and I teach transposition early. 

On rhythm counting, I use either rhythm of words(walk, walk, run-run, walk) or Kodaly (ta, ta, ti-ti, ta) with younger kids. Having finger numbers AND scale degree numbers and note duration and beats counted is just too many 1's,2's,3's, etc at once. I transition to numbers when we start recorder, or after about age 7 on piano. 

I am predominantly an Orff-based teacher, which borrows from Kodaly for solfege, with some Kodaly, Suzuki, and Dalcroze in the mix. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Moveable, and I teach transposition early. 

On rhythm counting, I use either rhythm of words(walk, walk, run-run, walk) or Kodaly (ta, ta, ti-ti, ta) with younger kids. Having finger numbers AND scale degree numbers and note duration and beats counted is just too many 1's,2's,3's, etc at once. I transition to numbers when we start recorder, or after about age 7 on piano. 

I am predominantly an Orff-based teacher, which borrows from Kodaly for solfege, with some Kodaly, Suzuki, and Dalcroze in the mix. 

Yeah, I started out being trained in Orff and then branched out to more Kodaly. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I edited, but yes. Syllables and words. Words are a very Orff thing, and are more concrete, especially for preschoolers. Then transition to syllables, and then to beat/subdivision. 

Do you use the Kodaly syllables?

I'm having trouble just picking a system. I'm sure there are plenty that work just fine.

1 minute ago, maize said:

Do you use the Kodaly syllables?

I'm having trouble just picking a system. I'm sure there are plenty that work just fine.

Yes, because it's what the schools use, and I want to be consistent (some of my kids are amazed that I know the same music language as their Orff teachers at school do ). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Moveable.

I used Kodaly and Orff when I taught youngsters in school. I am rather eclectic and was in a position where the schools did not dictate music curriculum so I could do my own thing. I prefer an early introduction to the concept of transposition because it makes life so much easier when kids get into band.

• Thanks 1